Sign in to follow this  
arno

Placing objects from GMAX/MDL

Guest Che Monro

I'm taking my first baby steps with GMAX, following a scenery hall of fame tutorial. I've created a cube, textured it and texture mapped it. I've exported it to a mdl file. I've modified the XML file to try to place it at Kempsey in Australia, and run BGL comp. The placement seems to work, more or less because something invisible is placed on the runway at Kempsey and I can crash into it. But it's invisible. I've tried using imagetool to make mipmaps but I'm not sure if it's correct. Any hints?Che

Guest sapper42

Che, can you see the actual cube ? if the cube isnt visible but the invisible object is where your cube should be, id say the texture is in the wrong format but you should be seeing an untextured object anyway.Remove the BGL for the cube and see if you still crash into anything.Is your kemsey using the default scenery or any addon software ?rgds Jeff

Guest Che Monro

No black cube Jeff - It's completely invisible. I might try placing a simple untextured cube, see if I can get that to work. Kempsey uses a landclass I did using Ground2k4. the GMAX objects will be phase 2. There was no crash before I put in this cube BGL. Che

Guest Che Monro

Woof! I found my cube. It's about five miles high and only shows up in grey in split second flashes "out of the corner of my eye." Back to the drawing board, I guess.Che

Hi Che,Check your GMax settings, if the object is much too big it often is that case that GMax is not set to metric units. MakeMDL really prefers metric units to be set.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog