Sign in to follow this  
Guest Che Monro

Apres Moi Le Deluge!

Guest Che Monro

I'm a little bit puzzled by water appearing in my landclass scenery developed with ground 2k4. I've been working on a Phillip Island scenery but in two places it looks like this:deluge.jpgThe water is occuring where the LWM land poly crosses a land tile boundary in both places. I've checked that the tile is properly excluded and done everything else that I can think of. What's going on?The little island is even more puzzling since it's off the coast of Coffs Harbour and I don't think there's any other scenery out there to conflict with. Che

La fin des eaux!Hello Che,This is a classic problem and is due to the lack of sufficient land class assignments.To solve the problem, simply extend land class out from the coast.Best regards.Luis

Guest Che Monro

Hey Luis, and thanks. Now I'm going to appear really stupid. :) Ummmmm... OK, so which landclass are we talking about, the LWM landclass or the VPT2 landclass? And we're talking tiles here, am I right? So I gotta use either the f1 - LWM or the LC - VPT2 buttons? I've tried both but failed miserably.Of course I've reinstalled ground2k4 since then so maybe that will help?Che

Hello Che,Right, here is the explanation.Land class is not assigned to the LOD 13 quadrant (Area) itself, but to the vertices of the quadrant.This means that 4 land class assignments are required in order to fill the entire Area, and thereby display land. If any of those land class assignments are missing, then that Area is incomplete and no land will display.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/135523.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/135524.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/135525.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/135526.jpgYou have created a new coast and new islands beyond the default land masses. The default land class does not extend out so far, thus your new land masses do not display any land. Ergo, the solution is to assign more land class to those blank areas.In Ground2K4, land class is assigned to Areas using the "LC" icon.The VTP function can be used, but is not as handy for entire Areas since you must first draw a polygon covering it all before assigning the land class.For more information on this and other features of Ground2K, please see "Ground2k for Beginners", available in the Avsim library.Best regards.Luis

Guest jimkeir

Hi,If I could just dive in here, I think you've possibly got some definitions a little mixed up. Apologies if I'm misreading something.Not all scenery files are 'landclass'. You don't get LWM landclass, VTP landclass etc. - there's just landclass. It works something like this:By default, everything is land. On top of this, you can place LWM polygons (Land/Water Mask) which explicitly define some places as land and some as water. Everywhere that's still left as land after this will show up on screen as one of various Land Classes, which is where the landclass data comes in. The entire surface of the Earth is split into 1Km squares and each of these is defined as one of around 100 different classes - inner city, sparse shrubland etc.Here's the catch. One of the landclass categories is 'water'. Anywhere where the landclass is 'water' reverts to being water, even if it's not defined as such by a LWM polygon. This allows huge ocean areas to be defined without using loads of polys. Typically, this special 'water' landclass starts fairly close to shore, according to the default scenery. This means that if you extend the shoreline at all, chances are it will go into an area where the landclass is defined as 'water' - and you get missing bits, like in your screenshot.So, to get back to the point, probably all you need to do is follow Luis' instructions on adding more landclass :)HTHJim

Guest Che Monro

Ahhhhhh...rgh? Oh my God. OhmygodohmygodOHMYGOD!You mean... I have to define a landclass on each point (vertex) of a LWM tile? So I gotta define the landclass four times (using the LC button) for each tile... and that's why G2k4 shows the LC tile grid offset from the LWM tile grid? And and I gotta define the LC four times?!?Oh my God!!Who made up this ingeneously sadistic system anyway? Microsoft?? ;)ChePS Thanks Guys.

Guest Che Monro

OK, I'm using the little island in the picture to test this out. It's less than one square in size.I defined four land classes at the vertices and recompiled, no good. A friend on virtualvfr.com said to set the LWM type for the square to *water* so I did that but no good. I can't get it to work. I'm moving on to other projects and I'll revisit this later. Unless anyone has any further suggestioins?Perhaps I should try prayer, eh Horst?Che

Hello Che,If land does not display, then you probably missed a vertex. It is easy to get confused, especially as Ground2K4 shifts the grid when you switch to land class mode. By the way, it does this in order to avoid confusion and so that you can see where the land class is assigned.The easiest solution is to add more land class. Extend it out beyond the island, in fact, blanket the entire area with land class. It won't hurt anything and will only display on Land Masks.Which is why you should not change the LWM type to Water, because then it would be a Water Mask and would definitely never display land!Best regards.Luis

Guest Che Monro

I'd like to thank everyone who helped with this. You were right, it was lack of landclass for the square in question. Once I worked out how to compile tmf to bgl everything was fine. I guess I'd have learned about that a lot sooner if I hadn't been doing mostly inland poly based scenery. :)Che