Sign in to follow this  
Snaker1

Help making new texture

Hi -I am trying to modify an existing stream texture but am having difficulty doing so. I edit it using the Dxt/bmp program and my graphics editor but when I use the image in FS9 I get a black border around the stream. I have tried making an alpha to make the black areas in the image transparent but that doen't seem to work either. Also when I save the image using dxt/bmp it only saves it as half the size of the original texture. I am saving it as DXT1 as this is the original format.This is the first time I have tired editing a ground scenery texture. What am I doing wrong ????? I would appreciate any help or tips. Thanks :)

Hi,Are you sure you are saving the exactly the same format? I tried to open a few stream textures with ImageTool and most of them were 8bit images, not DXT. Also make sure you put back the mipmaps and the alpha channel.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks for the reply Arno. I have not tried saving them as 8 bit pictures. Even when I open them with the viewer in the SDK they show up as DXT1. I am not sure on the Aplha channel. When I resave the file using DXT/bmp does't that resave the image and the aplha ?I tried making the black areas of the image into objects and then editing the alpha for each object and then saved the entire image using dxt/bmp. Maybe I don't understand the alpha thing. Isn't that the part of the image that you want to be transparent ?

ISTM also that these textures are 8 bit palletized with alpha. Maybe you need BMP2000 to properly edit the 8 bit format?scott s..

Thanks for the information and advice Scott!!! BMP2000 did the trick and allowed me to save the image and the alpha in 8 bit format.:)