Sign in to follow this  
jonpatch

What should I call water runway near 69NH?

Hi,While redoing 69NH (formerly 8B8), Lakes Region Airport in Wolfeboro, NH, while examining aerial photos of the airport, I noticed a bunch of seaplanes parked at and around a dock on the shore at the end of a short road leading up to the airport.There is no official water runway here, but I'd like to make one since I like to fly from this airport and area, and I think it would be a cool airport to run bush flights from.The problem is the water runway has a different height than the normal 69NH runway. So if I were to add parking and taxiways to the water runway at the airport, as far as I know anyway, it would raise the water up around the taxiways and parking spots to the level of the other runway. I can put a water runway in at the correct height all by itself in the same AFCAD as the normal runway, but as soon as I add taxiways, it screws up.Soooo, what should I do? I can create a separate AFCAD, but, since it will be a different facility, what should I call it (since it is sort of fictional)? I know I can't have two airports with the same height. I suppose I could use the old 8B8 designation for my new water runway.Now, I imagine that the reason I am putting taxiways and parking spots is for the purpose of adding AI. Should I just keep the water runway in 69NH for my own flying, and create a new facility with a copy of the runway and add parking and all that to that? If I do this, what should I use for a designation for the airport? I don't know anything about doing AI. I don't play with it much since my computer is relatively slow, so I turn AI off most of the time. It's not an IFR facility, so I don't know how much radio traffic I would hear from the airport.Help! What should I do?Thomas

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Thomas,Here's some thoughts, and others can add more:- you do need a unique AFCAD with its own ICAO- ensure that the two airport reference points are as far apart as reasonable or ATC may get confused and assign a runway at the wrong facility- I've found that if you assign a comm frequency at your water AFCAD that's the same as the land base, AI may lock up- if you just want to fly in and out, you can make a simple water runway, there is no need to add an AI runway, or parking or any of that stuff. Many default FS9 facilities have no AI capability- in terms of what to call your new water AFCAD, it's hard to give guidance: you need something that is 99.99% probable that it doesn't exist elsewhere, and is somewhat meaningful. Consider 8B8W, for 8B8 water, for example- you can find sample seaplane AFCADs in vicenh05.zip (in the library here) that are fully user and AI capable, and use techniques that keep the traffic flowing well.Jon