Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

Question re. BMP2000

This is the first time that I have tried using BMP2000, and in fact the first time trying to edit textures, so please bear with me.The original bmp is 43k in size.I load it as an Extended Bitmap and BMP2000 says its "Extended Bitmap 16 x 565.I then double click on the large window in BMP2000 to bring the image into my editor (PSP v7).After editing in PSP, I save the image and then click Update in BMP2000.Then I click Save Extended Format Bitmap and save the file to my new texture folder.However, the saved texture is 171k in size and not as per the original 43k !Can someone, used to using BMP2000, please advise me where I am going wrong?Regards,Stuart Hyett

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Hi Stuart,It is very likely that your texture actually was a DXT texture. BMP2000 is not a very good tool anymore to compress textures (it was made for Fs2000). For Fs2002 and Fs2004 you can better use ImageTool (comes with GMax) or DXTBMP from the same author as BMP2000.43 kB is the normal size for a 256x256 bitmap in DXT1 format with mipmaps.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I think BMP2000 still has use for 8 bit palletized with alpha and mips (such as created by imagetool -8 switch). For DXT or 32 bit, DXTbmp.scott s..

Hi Scott,I am not sure, as there are quite some textures that you can not open with ImageTool when you have created them with BMP2000. But as I said before, there are better tools now. BMP2000 is still from Fs2000 and can better be dropped when you design for Fs2004.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Scott,Which are the best tools to use for converting / editing FS2004 scenery textures, particularly the night time base files?Any suggestions / recomendations?Regards,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373