Sign in to follow this  
arno

What is the best way to model my local airport?

Guest Dreamflyer

I would like to update Microsoft's model for my local airport Saratoga County 5B2. The current model is not accurate and does not include the North American Aviation area as well as the GA hangers. In addition, I would like to exclude the autogen objects so that I can place the correct tree line that surrounds the airport. What is the best way to accomplish the new model? I know that I will have to use AFCAD to correct the taxiways and such. How do I update the tree line, the correct hangers and support buildings? Rway 12 program, EZ Scenery, Airport for Windows? I am confused as to which one would work the easiest and best. Any assitance is appreciated.

Hi,For the ground layout you can indeed use AFCAD.For the 3D objects you have more options. If you want to design them yourself, so that they match the real airport as much as possible GMax is a good option. But if you don't want to design the objects yourself, using a placement tool like Rwy12 or EZ-Scenery is also a good option. You just need to find an object library that contains the objects you want to use.Personally I would not advice Airport for Windows anymore. It was made prior to Fs2004 and does not make use of the latest techniques. There is a new tool based on AFW, SceneGenX that does use these techniques. It does about the same as AFCAD. Again personally, I prefer the user interface of AFCAD to that of SGX.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

A program called Treeplanter would work well for the tree lines you are speaking of. It actually uses the autogen trees already existing in FS9.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Guest Bell206freak

Where is this "Tree Planter" program? I might like to use that, if I could.Thanks in advance.

Guest fame

Hi Bell206freak:Here are the particulars:Treeplanter - FS 2004 autogen will not be displayed in close proximity to an airport due to the associated airport exclude. GianP has produced a library of

Yes, the Treeplanter trees can't be placed on a runway but certainly will work on the perimeter of the airport. I've done it.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Guest Dreamflyer

One of my questions is what object placer program is better for a small GA airport? 5B2 has five buildings but is very open and home to gliders. What program has the best library objects and which one is the easiest to use? As is usually the case, my limited time keeps forcing me to put the project off. Also I have several CADD programs that allow me to design models in 3D. Can I take one of my models and import it right into GMAX?

Hi,Which object placer is best depends most on the GUI which you prefer. If you have a library with objects, you can use them with almost any object placer (either Rwy12, EZ-Scenery or ObPlacer XML).GMax has a limited functionality to import other formats, but you can import 3DS and DXF files into it. I don't use this often myself, but I think you will loose the texture mapping when you import. So you will always have to do something in GMax as well.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog