Sign in to follow this  
arno

Gmax ground plane joints

Guest CapnCol

I have tried making an apron and runway (for FS9) using Gmax and the bglc9 compiler. The results I have obtained are generally okay but when viewing the airport from above, the joints between the planes (or each textured area) are visible. Is there any way to reduce this effect? I have tried overlapping the plane and the bmp but still get some form of line.Would be grateful for some help please. Colin

Guest Jos

Hi,You speak about joints... are you not working with overlapping layers ?Greetz. Jos

Guest CapnCol

Basically I have a large bmp of the ground, which I split into smaller bmp's of 512 x 512 size. Then I have a plane in Gmax with the required number of sides to form a template and I texture each individual piece, just like a jigsaw. It's the only way I know how to do it.I'm sure this is not quite right...hense the request for advice.ThanksColin

Hi Colin,I have also seen this problem with the scenery I am working on. I think it is mainly due to the way FS works with the mipmaps. That causes a little difference in the textue mapping and you see the split (there is no split in the polygons, it is only in the texture).I don't know a way to solve it, but maybe you can minimize the problem by looking at the texture format/mipmaps?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest CapnCol

I have been using DXT1 texture mainly (though I have tried other formats) but will try again without mipmaps and also try out the 555-1 format.I'm not very familiar with using dos codes to open programmes, but if I open imagetool as normal (ie double click the exe) but then save the bmp as a 555 format, will this still work? Anyhow I'll try it out and let you know how I get on. Colin

Hi Colin,Yes, that also work. But if you have a lot of files to convert the batch mode is faster. You don't want to open and save hundreds of files manually :D.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog