Sign in to follow this  
N2056

EZ-Scenery taxiway labeling

Tried an idea...make a textured poly in GMAX and use it to 'paint' taxiways at the airport I'm working on using Afcad and EZ-Scenery. It's really fast once you get the 'stencil' done! Here's how it looks.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/138107.jpgI think there are a lot of possibilities with this...:) Robert

Yeah, this could be good...there's a helicopter flight school at the airport I'm working on. I started working on the R-22's last night. I created and placed the circles in about 15 minutes.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/138109.jpgThis much fun should be against the law!Robert

Guest vincent_c

good idea.But i have question ,do you have MSN? can you add me ?:fly_fly321@hotmail.com

I don't have MSN either. ;)Robert - I'm impressed with your results. Ground markings can add a lot of realism to an airport, but they are usually a pain to put down. I'm going to play around with this some more this weekend.- Martin

I have MSN. I turned off the messenger in XP because I found all the unsolicited 'stuff' I got from it to be irritating.Robert

I've noted that the object needs to be elevated slightly or flickering sometimes occurs. Have fun playing with the idea!Robert

Guest vincent_c

i just want to ask some question in msn ,if you would like to, you can add me ,thank you

That looks really great, Robert. Could you please give a more detailed explanation of how you are doing this? What do your textures look like? How are you placing the objects? etc.One of the great disadvantages of large Gmax objects is that their exclusion areas wipe out all autogen in a wide swath around it. So, you have to go back and put all the trees and buildings in by hand. But, it looks like you are using some custom ground textures anyway.Best regards.Luis

All I do is create a planer surface in Gmax which is the size of the desired label. I have found that if the plane is created in Gmax with a slight elevation then your sign won't flicker through the surface.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/138244.jpgThen I texture the object and add an alpha channel to the texture such that parts of the label that should not be seen (in this case the white areas)are transparent.I then export the item as a scenery .mdl, add it to my ez-scenery library, start up fs9 & ez-scenery and place away! A sign like this is about a 10 minute job if you're familiar with the tools. Give it a try! RobertNote: The ground textures are Megascenery Socal V2

Greetings all. Wow, those look great! I'm not a scenery designer, but I have been using EZ-Scenery and used FSE before that. The nice folks at Bird's Eye View are hosting a forum for EZ-Scenery users and object designers, and it's been pretty active. Please feel free to participate. It would be wonderful if objects like these could be packaged as EZ-Scenery libraries and made available for the rest of us to use. Please please please. :+ http://www.flightsim-bevs.com/smf_1-0-5/index.php#15

Well, I discovered if you have 'ground scenery cast shadows' enabled the signs cast shadows (due to the very slight elevation). Is there a way to modify the file such that it will not ever cast a shadow?Robert

Did a search, and found that if you set the opacity of the texture in Gmax to 99% the shadow goes away!Back to the fun!Robert