Sign in to follow this  
jkanold

Scenery design in FSX

Guest Dan G Martin

Jason it depends on what database one uses to get the data from even Jeppesen differs depending (or at least used to) on what one of their offices publishes the data (either Frankfurt or Denver) but from my time spent in Europe and here in Canada as well all runways that have a heading of less that 96 degrees magnetic allways have a leading zero in their designators. Now I understand you can't give me(or us) an answer on this, but maybe you could see if we add-on types could be given the hooks to do it through the SDK so we could write some tools for others to use to simply add the corect runway numbers to any runway that they would like. In other wordssee if the team can give us the tools to make the tools through a API/SDK. Please understand I know it's very early(but again it might me to late) and you can't let the cat out of the bag but bring it up to the team and see if things like the above could be added to the tool set for FSx. BTW I and many others are very happy to see how open all of you are now able to be and I for one can see this leading to a great deal of new goodies in the future for all of us to enjoy. Dan Martin.

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

>Jason it depends on what database one uses to get the data>from even Jeppesen differs depending (or at least used to) on>what one of their offices publishes the data (either Frankfurt>or Denver) but from my time spent in Europe and here in Canada>as well all runways that have a heading of less that 96>degrees magnetic allways have a leading zero in their>designators. Now I understand you can't give me(or us) an>answer on this, but maybe you could see if we add-on types>could be given the hooks to do it through the SDK so we could>write some tools for others to use to simply add the corect>runway numbers to any runway that they would like. In other>words>see if the team can give us the tools to make the tools>through a API/SDK. Please understand I know it's very>early(but again it might me to late) and you can't let the cat>out of the bag but bring it up to the team and see if things>like the above could be added to the tool set for FSx. BTW I>and many others are very happy to see how open all of you are>>now able to be and I for one can see this leading to a great>deal of new goodies in the future for all of us to enjoy.>>> Dan Martin. It is my understanding that there are contractural obligations from where we get the data that ties our hands somewhat with regards to how open we can be with customization in this area. (that sounded like a mouthful)I will however touch base with some folk RE the original issue.As a touchstone it would help to have the location in the images above. I didn't note it in the post, but may have missed it. Luis?Cheers,jason

Guest Dan G Martin

Hi there Jason understand you can't say much about who's data you use for your database in Flightsim. Just the fact you will bring it up to the right people is enough for litle old me! As for Luis's Picture I do know He lives "way down south" I.E. South America I think. Like I said I beleve that the entire world outside of the U.S. allways adds a leading zero to single didgit runway designators. Thanks for the responces Dan Martin Team Flight Ontario

>Hi there Jason understand you can't say much about who's data>you use for your database in Flightsim. Just the fact you will>bring it up to the right people is enough for litle old me! As>for Luis's Picture I do know He lives "way down south" I.E.>South America I think. Like I said I beleve that the entire>world outside of the U.S. allways adds a leading zero to>single didgit runway designators.>> Thanks for the responces>> Dan Martin Team Flight OntarioWell as I said, of the two airports we looked at in the database there wer only two that used a single digit. One was in the US, one was on another continent. Both had a leading zero in front.Cheers,J

Guest Dan G Martin

You do know I'm not trying to give you a hard time right? I was only asking if it might be possable to have leading zeros added to the runway markings were aplicable, and like I posted before I am amaized that you and by extention Microsoft are now being as open as one could really be at this time. I for one am looking forward to finally haveing an open dialog with the people who produce the software that gives me and so many others many hours of pleasure. Dan Martin

>Just so's you guys know, we're not at the point where we can>really talk about features. ANything I say on this matter is>to be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe I can sneak my pet peeve question in as well. If you revisit an airport or two, might one find PCL (Pilot Controlled Lighting)?I'll bw happy to take your answer with a grain of salt.http://www.flightontario.com/images/sig_jkanold.gif

>You do know I'm not trying to give you a hard time right? "Never thought you were Dan. :)I just wanted to be sure that I got it across tht the issue may already be fixed. The behavior I saw was different than what you described, but my sample size was too small to be signifigant. Still and all, our data *does* change, so you never know... :)Cheers,J

Well, Jason, I really wouldn't use the above images as a guide. That is MDHE - Herrera International (!) Airport smack in the middle of the city of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. While we are not really part of the USA, F.A.A. rules here! Anyway, that airport was supposed to close 4 years ago, but the residents have been successfully resisting although the replacement was built and completed over 3 years ago.To tell the truth, I am happy to be of service to Dan and I love to show images, but I can live without the leading zero.What really ticks me off is flying over the local beaches and not seeing any topless girls. That is definitely not "as real as it gets." While this may be due to resolution problems in FS, I always hope that this "feature" will be included in the next version. In fact, I am willing to bet that you could eliminate the airplanes and replace them with naked girls and just about all the boys would be happy. Except for the 737 crowd who could not live without their short-haul carrier, the INS and FMC at FL270, or wherever RVS is putting them nowadays.On the other hand, the topless girls are often overweight European matrons with sagging features, so maybe you could hold off on this improvement for FS.Best regards.Luis

>>Just so's you guys know, we're not at the point where we>can>>really talk about features. ANything I say on this matter is>>to be taken with a grain of salt.>> Maybe I can sneak my pet peeve question in as well. If you>revisit an airport or two, might one find PCL (Pilot>Controlled Lighting)?>I'll bw happy to take your answer with a grain of salt.>>>http://www.flightontario.com/images/sig_jkanold.gifHey Jim, long time no talk. :)Remember, salt is bad for your diet. I know the issue has been brouht to tha table over multiple versions. My understanding is that implementing PCl has greater issues than it might seem at first blush. I have no idea what the status of that particular feature is, and couldn't say if I did.But it *has* been discussed multiple times. Which means whether it is implemented or not, other users and tema members would like the same thing. Little comfort I know, but better than not being heard at all.Cheers,J

>Well, Jason, I really wouldn't use the above images as a>guide. That is MDHE - Herrera International (!) Airport smack>in the middle of the city of Santo Domingo, Dominican>Republic. While we are not really part of the USA, F.A.A.>rules here! Anyway, that airport was supposed to close 4 years>ago, but the residents have been successfully resisting>although the replacement was built and completed over 3 years>ago.>>To tell the truth, I am happy to be of service to Dan and I>love to show images, but I can live without the leading zero.>>What really ticks me off is flying over the local beaches and>not seeing any topless girls. That is definitely not "as real>as it gets." While this may be due to resolution problems in>FS, I always hope that this "feature" will be included in the>next version. In fact, I am willing to bet that you could>eliminate the airplanes and replace them with naked girls and>just about all the boys would be happy. Except for the 737>crowd who could not live without their short-haul carrier, the>INS and FMC at FL270, or wherever RVS is putting them>nowadays.>>On the other hand, the topless girls are often overweight>European matrons with sagging features, so maybe you could>hold off on this improvement for FS.>>Best regards.>>Luis>:)Thanks Luis. I'll give MDHE a look in a bit.

Guest Dan G Martin

Again thanks for getting back to me(us). I have spent some time hand makeing poly's for runway markings in Max and haveing a tool to call up pre-made ones from with in FS(provided they indeed are in there) would save time an add to the overall airport environment. Cheers Dan.

Guest Bell206freak

Quote:++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++What really ticks me off is flying over the local beaches andnot seeing any topless girls.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++You may like a future planned scenery from my scenery design studio, then. Only thing - I have to offer it for download at my own website (yet to be launched) - because I seriously doubt AVSIM will allow it to be hosted here.

>The pics reminded me of another point.>>How did the wrong number of piano keys on runways ever get>past the last beta team?>>I wonder if this has been corrected in FSX?>It would make my day if I new it was.>Jason?>>>http://www.flightontario.com/images/sig_jkanold.gifHey man, how should I know? I just work here... :)Make sure and send a bug to tell_fs@microsoft.com...Cheers,J