Sign in to follow this  
jkanold

Scenery design in FSX

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

>>Well, Jason, I really wouldn't use the above images as a>>guide. That is MDHE - Herrera International (!) Airport>smack>>in the middle of the city of Santo Domingo, Dominican>>Republic. While we are not really part of the USA, F.A.A.>>rules here! Anyway, that airport was supposed to close 4>years>>ago, but the residents have been successfully resisting>>although the replacement was built and completed over 3>years>>ago.>>>>To tell the truth, I am happy to be of service to Dan and I>>love to show images, but I can live without the leading>zero.>>>>What really ticks me off is flying over the local beaches>and>>not seeing any topless girls. That is definitely not "as>real>>as it gets." While this may be due to resolution problems in>>FS, I always hope that this "feature" will be included in>the>>next version. In fact, I am willing to bet that you could>>eliminate the airplanes and replace them with naked girls>and>>just about all the boys would be happy. Except for the 737>>crowd who could not live without their short-haul carrier,>the>>INS and FMC at FL270, or wherever RVS is putting them>>nowadays.>>>>On the other hand, the topless girls are often overweight>>European matrons with sagging features, so maybe you could>>hold off on this improvement for FS.>>>>Best regards.>>>>Luis>>>>:)>>Thanks Luis. I'll give MDHE a look in a bit.>MDHE has a leading "0" in the FS 2004 data.Please note I said data. Not "MDHE has a leading '0' displaying in sim in FS2004." There's a problem somewhere else. This isn't a "US rules apply everywhere" issue-- it's some other bad behavior. This was probably already a bug logged for FS 2004, but I've escalated it again...Now everybody leave me alone about it. :)Cheers,J{EDITED for grammar}

Guest Dan G Martin

Hi there Jason You just might be right Look real hard at the logs for the last beta LOL that is if it's still possable to do so. cheers Dan

Guest archtx

Luis, I share your enthusiasm for this feature. Maybe, if MSFS just gives us people we can add our own "texture" sets.

Autogen "folks"! Now, there's an idea. Bet that never came up in the FS planning meetings at Redmond.Best regards.Luis

Guest tdragger

>> How did the wrong number of piano keys on runways ever get past the last beta team?Can you be more specific?

Guest Dan G Martin

It varies depending on how wide the runway is I do know that on a 200ft wide runway (in fs9) you have the markings for a 100 ft wide runway in the "real world" for a 200ft wide runway there are 16 "keys"(eight on either side of the centerline)for a 150ft runway 12 (six on either side of the centerline) and for a 100 ft runway 8 (four on either side of the centerline. I've got FS9 loaded now and so far I've found several airports with the wrong markings(all seem to have the markings for 100ft wide markings KDFW CYYZ EGLL all seem to be wrong as I know for a fact that all of the runways at both EGLL (London Heathrow) and CYYZ (Toronto Pearson) are 200ft wide and as 200ft runways should be marked with 16 stripes (piano keys) I hope this is of some help to you. P.S. If you take a look at any pics over at Airliners .net you will see what I am Talking about(search under "Airport overviews")you will indeed find pictures about what I and other people are talking about. Dan Martin

Guest Dan G Martin

Thank you Jason!! !!! Now on to my last post (see above) A even more greatfull Dan Martin

Guest tdragger

Well I suppose it depends on your definition of "wrong". Our reference is FAA Advisory Circular 150/5340 which includes both the scheme you describe and the one FS currently uses: 8 stripes of varying width. The scheme you describe was new when FS2004 came out (in fact the document states that it will only be mandatory after January 1, 2008) and since we expected it to take some time for airport operators to convert to the new scheme we decided to leave the current scheme as is.

Guest Dan G Martin

Hi there tdragger please see attatched picture I am sorry if you took my post in the wrong way( I was not knocking FS9 and buy extention all the people who put togther FS9) when I flew for a living I remember the number of keys varies upon the width of a runway even in the U.S. It's been done that way so that a pilot can tell at a glance how wide the runway is (for safety reasons) I have some older pics from the early 90's that show 12 "keys" on 05 at KCLE So My guess is it was not compulsory to mark a runway in the U.S with the above untiil now but you see of course there is the rest of the world including us here in the "Great White North" and we have for many years marked runway with varying numbers of threshold stripes as well as leading zeros on all single digit runways. I know that you people do put in a great deal of time in getting things right so please take this as an apology as I was not "putting down" FS as so many people do. I think that the job your team does is truly remarkable and has allways had been.I get many,many hours of enjoyment out of both useing and adding to FS BTW and I am still blown away with what one can do in and to Flight Sim. Dan Martin.

Guest tdragger

I didn't think you were knocking FS. I just wanted to provide an explanation of why FS works why it does. Cheer!

Guest archtx

I never thought about using autogen! But I have made them with effects, so that they appear and disappear, as if boarding the plane.

Dan gets his wish. Christmas all over again!Hey, Mike, since you are taking the trouble of making people's dreams come true, I have always wanted to be adopted by Bill Gates. Anything you can do about that?Best regards.Luis