Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bell206freak

newb problem with scenegenx/pulling hair out and wifey ...

Hey all I have read through about 40 pages of posts and thought I would give my home airport a shot well got afcad 2.21 love it got rwy12 love it now I am trying to make some excludes for som builings on my airstrip that look like offices? this is just a hole in the wall airstrip in Oregon that has no offices anyways I got the airport on scenegenx by decompiling the apXXXXXXX.BGL and the OBXXXXXXX.BGL to .xml's and got the airport in scenegenx and loaded the scenery,(OBxxxxxxx.BGL) and it says in one tutorial I read by bell206freak I know of him from hovercontrol.com and his tut. says that boxes will apear where the default objects are. Now the problem it shows the box where the windsock is and it shows the box where the radio towers are located on the top of the hill behind my airstrip and it shows the box where the radio tower is off in the distance but it doesnt show the boxes for the four hangers/buildins I want to do away with? is there another .bgl that may contain those or am I missing a step somewhere? I have been pulling my hair out over this and my wife says she doesnt like bald guys. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. George

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

George, if you still have hair to pull, then you aren't doing so bad!If you loved AFCAD and Rwy 12, then try ExcBuilder; you might learn to like it too.Best regards.Luis

Thank you luis, I have tried excbuilder and I did the NW corner of the building and the SE corner of the building with the aircraft oriented north like the instructions indicate, I recieved an error that said and I dont remember for sure, that the sum of some number needed to be greater than the other or less than I tried it several times and different ways to no avail. so I gave up, if you need me to I can fire excbuilder up try the exclusion again and tell you the exact error I get. Thank-you for your help. George

Hello George,Please do post whatever error messages you get; it will help us to better understand your problem.Best regards.Luis

Try all of the ob9****.bgl scenery files, not just one.Usually, you'll have to deal with either one, or a combination of all of them to get them to work. When I worked with Sanderson, I had to decompile one for the buildings, and the other for the stuff like windsocks, fuel triggers, etc.IIRC, there's usually about one to two, perhaps three in each scenery directory. In the NAMW scenery directory, there's ob9namw0.bgl, ob9namw1,bgl, and ob9namw2.bgl. I only had to work with the first two with Sanderson.Give all of them a try first before pulling your hair out!

Thanks guys for the info!! I am on it. gonna give it a try tonightand see if I can get the buildings in there too. George

Ok guys here's another one I could have swore the other night when I was playing with scenegenx I made an exclusion box that had yellow and black lines but that was before I found the ob9namw1.bgl that had the buildings I needed gone in it, now playing around with it and I cant remember how or what I did to make that box any help? George

Quote:+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Ok guys here's another one I could have swore the other night when I was playing with scenegenx I made an exclusion box that had yellow and black lines but that was before I found the ob9namw1.bgl that had the buildings I needed gone in it, now playing around with it and I cant remember how or what I did to make that box any help? George+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++To create that exclusion area, open up your SceneGenX *SGX file and right click on the location of the area you wish to exclude. When you right click, a menu will show up, and it'll give you a series of options. At the bottom of that list, select "Create exclusion area" and it'll then issue a pop up window with a list of options you can exclude such as windsocks, triggers, ILS, building objects, etcetera. It will also give you an option to input the bounding coordinates of the exclusion, and IIRC, the coordinates can be self adjusted afterwards.One thing I cannot stress enough - SAVE YOUR WORK OFTEN. I have lost so much progress by not doing so, because many times in my work with Sanderson (which BTW is not quite finished yet) SceneGenX would issue runtime errors resulting in me having to close the program out and restarting.Another easy way of creating excludes is to download Peter Dowson's FSUIPC - be sure to get the latest version - and SBuilder version 2.05. Get the latest version of SCASM also, as you'll need it to work with the latest SBuilder.In SBuilder, open up FS and then slew right to the exact center of each building you wish to exclude. From there, create an exclusion rectangle by selecting the option button at the top of the menu. It also helps to create a temporary LWM "polygon" to aid you in determining the "footprint" of each building via the slew feature in FS before you proceed with this step. Once you've established the location and size of each building, continue to create your exclusion rectangles and then select the Gen. Building Objects, All Objects, and Library Objects checkboxes, and then click "OK." Then, to create the exclusion BGL, delete the temporary LWM polygons that determined the building footprint size, then select all of your exclusion rectangles at once, and then select the "Create BGL" option. Click "OK" on the pop up that appears and if all was successful, you'll have an exclusion BGL the "Sbuilder 2.05/Tools/Work" directory. Good luck, and let me know how it goes!_Steve

(Good luck, and let me know how it goes!) Steve, Well I got it!!! last night I was sittin there after I wrote that reply and opened up scenegenx and I remembered "right click" so I got the exclusion rectangle and made an exclusion box for the buildings I wanted removed saved my work and compiled and loaded flight sim! and walla buildings still there :-), Another grey patch in the hair and five minutes off my life. Well I realized that after creating the exclusion deleting the object's was probably a good idea well did that and recompiled the file and started flight sim and what do yoyu know I have an empty canvas to work with!!!!! after WEEKS of irritation I can now do it in about five minutes!!! so now it is off to afcad and rwy12. B.T.W have you got the vasi lights for rwy12 done yet? You had mentioned something about that over at hovercontrol.com.. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP, George

I'm thinking that those VASI (or PAPI depending on the approach system) lights will be a sort-of open-source scenery development tool. I haven't managed to download the tools necessary to create a Rwy12 object library as of yet.What I may end up doing instead is offering them for download by including the gMax source files, the associated texture kits, and the *.mdl files with the accompanying XML placement file.I am leery about distributing the gMax source files, though, for obvious reasons.I also need to touch up the textures a bit.

Gotcha ;-) I have been having a good time working on this project! One more question I have have concerns the ramp (tie down area as it is known at the feild) I moved it around to better represent what is actually at the feild, saved, compiled and installed in the sim started the sim and no change to the ramp? any ideas? George

Quote:++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Gotcha ;-) I have been having a good time working on this project! Onemore question I have have concerns the ramp (tie down area asit is known at the feild) I moved it around to betterrepresent what is actually at the feild, saved, compiled andinstalled in the sim started the sim and no change to theramp? any ideas? George++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++If you could, explain in better detail (specifically, the steps involved) your installation method.Another thing.. Did you modify the ramp in SceneGenX or AFCAD? It's better to modify the airport surfaces (i.e. taxiways, runways, parking ramps, etc.) in AFCAD than it is in SceneGenX.

Steve, Once again I appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions. I am working on the ramp in scenegenx and last night I answered my own question! At certain angles the runway would disapear and the ramp and parking lot I added to the scenery had missing areas meaning that when you look at them in the sim the would have a triangle missing but the taxiway lines would be there so now I am going to try it in afcad and see what I can do I didnt know you could modify the default ramp with afcad? but I am going to mess with it and see what I come up with. George

Well I got it to look decent in afcad now I am just getting the buildings set using rwy12, that can take some time. I have a wingman force feedback with a 12" extension so that when I go to slew mode, man the aircraft takes off to worlds beyond me, so I have to fly my favorite chopper to the point and heading I want or hey maybe I can run afcad and scenegenx and get the cordinates I need off of sgx and input them to afcad? George P.S. when I am done I would like to send it to you to check it out, Crater Lake is just a 20-30 min. flight away.