Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jean-Guy

How to make textures

Guest Jean-Guy

Hello everyone!My question is

Guest jersey shore

Hey Jean Several methods i use to make textures are either free images you can find on the net...for photo-real textures or using a paint program and draw your own...i use ms paint and photoshop but their are others. I just want to add that you did edit a existing texture. First just make sure that if its existing..meaning that its a stock fs2002 or fs2004(depending what version you are using) that you should save it as another file name since that texture might be used for other objects and thus alter every object that texture may be applied to. Also, since you used image tool to open the file, you did not mention if you converted the file back in image tool AFTER you edited it....to DXT1 or DXT3. This is would possibly explain why you see it in fsds and not the game. There is a website called the Scenery Hall of Fame that contains alot of tutorials on texture design which could be very useful as it did for me. Dave

Guest Jean-Guy

Hi! DaveFirst, thanks for your help. I found "Scenery Hall of Fame" at "WWW.scenery.org" and I will look into it.Dave, you see, I found this program "ImageTool" recently and I found out that I could now open those files that my other programs could not open. The other programs I use to open BMP's are: "Microsoft Picture_it", "Paint" and "PhotoStudio SE". I have not tried yet to use those you call "DXT1 OR DXT3".What I have tried, for example, is take a standard texture with "white wall siding" and spray a bit of yellow to change its color, add a "Y" to the name and use it in FSDS, where it works. But not in FS9. Jean-Guy

Guest jersey shore

Hey Jean Basically, like i said i im not familiar with fsds but if you placed your texture in fsds and shows and exports then you have to...1. open image tool and open your texture..it should show you2. on the top click format3 you now should see a selection for dxt1 and dxt3...click dxt1 for now.4. you should also see a selection for create mipmaps....click that. you should now see like 6 boxes with your texture in there.5. now save your texture and put it into fs/textures folder and you should be able to see you object and texture. sorry this is quick and sloppy but having problems with computer and just wanted to get a quick reply to youDave

Guest Jean-Guy

Hi! Dave andthanks, that's exactly the type of info that im looking for and it helped me a lot.So, I'm sure that many of you, out there, know other things that I should know: do not be shy, just do not let all the work to Dave. Help a poor old man go to bed at night a bit less idiot...Thanks in advance.Jean-Guy

Guest Jean-Guy

HugoComment refuser une telle offre et dans ma langue en plus! Bien sur, j'accepte tes conditions. Je vais suivre tes premi