Sign in to follow this  
arno

Removing Autogen Trees from taxiways

Hi,I have recently got into AFCAD editing and have created my first mod at a regional airport, adding the appropriate taxiways and apron areas.The taxiways etc look great but there are autogen trees in the middle of them. How to I tell FS to stop placing autogen objects in the area around the airport?Thanks in advanceGreg

Guest Bell206freak

Get yourself a copy of Sbuilder, the latest version of SCASM and then FSUIPC (the latest freeware version).Usually, this is a result of the modified taxiways, etc. leaving the default AB terrain background polygon and wandering into default landclass tiles. I had the same thing happen when I was modifying Sanderson Field (the closed runway there was way off of its true position and alignment).What I did was import the default AB915150.bgl scenery file into SBuilder, then deleted every background terrain polygon outside of Sanderson. I then modified the default terrain background polygon in SBuilder and recompiled it in its own unique BGL file. It's a pretty easy task to complete once you overcopme the slight learning curve that's required of SBuilder (it is IMHO way better and has an easier, more user-friendly interface than Ground2K4).Make sure that you place your modified background polygon in the same directory your custom AFCAD is placed in.Good luck, and let me know how it works out for you._Steve

Hello Greg,although the suggestion from Steve about creating your own VTP background polygons for your additions is correct, it is IMHO not needed to disassemble,change and recompile any default files. If you create your own scenery file und put it in a scenery folder with higher priority, it will cover any other polygon (or other scenery element) beneath.If you *really* just want to delete the autogen at some place, you can also create an exclusion rectangle with the XML Scenery SDK.Best regards,Edgar

Yes, that's right. You can exclude the default airport "skirting" and then place your new custom version down which will eliminate the autogen from your airport. I don't use SBuilder, so I can't comment on it, but I use Ground2K which is also quite easy.- Martin

>>>What I did was import the default AB915150.bgl scenery file>into SBuilder, then deleted every background terrain polygon>outside of Sanderson. I then modified the default terrain >background polygon in SBuilder and recompiled it in its own>unique BGL file. You don't really need to delete those polys. Just go in point mode and drag a selection box around your modified poly. Then only it will be compiled. This is what I did because some one got a new AFCAD for KIAH and there is a new runway 8L in it, north of the default airport. I loaded it up into LWMViewer2 and took a screenshot (not bitmap export yet in ver 2) to use as a map in sbuilder. Then built the flatten and VTP. What's nice about the append is that you can get the proper texture ID for the default background. (I actually added new polys, rather than editing the default ones but the result is the same.)For Edgar:The idea wasn't to recompile the default file -- just use it in sbuilder append to extract the flatten alt, background texture ID, and shape as the basis for new polygons which are compiled into their own BGL files.scott s..

Hello Scott,your are right. I should read other posts more carefully.Or get a little bit used to SBuilder and its terms.Cheers, Edgar

Hi,Thanks for all the replies....The problem is you have all lost me.Ok, I have a copy of SBuilder, but I don't know what bgl file to work with and how. I guess I'll just have to give up for now and wait til I have more time and patience to tackle the problem, learning AFCAD was hard enough. It's a shame cos the default FS scenery for this airport is severly lacking.Many ThanksBarbs

Hello Barbs,don't give up.You don't need to know the exact airport bgl file to delete trees.If you know it, SBuilder can help you to determine, which texture was used in the default airport background polygon. Than you can use this information to create your own background polygon.To say it again:a) with an XML exclude you can define a rectangle without autogen tree on your runway. Your runway might still be displayed on the forest texture, but no trees. The old airport background polygon is still visible at the old place of the runway.... or ...:( Create a vtp polygon with SBuilder or Ground2k4 as background for your runway with the texture you like (without trees)b+) Additionally you can create a vtp exclude for an area rectangle with SBuilder or Ground2k4. This can delete the old airport background polygon. For the level number see The Beginners Guide.Best regards, Edgar

BarbsIf all you want to do is remove some scenery from your runway/taxiways then download excbuilderv2.zip.Make as many small rectangle excludes as needed and then compile to a single bgl. Place the new exclude bgl into the SceneryGenericscenery folder and all your autogen will be gone.hope this helps

Don't give up that fast indeed. You don't need to know anything about the default BGL to add an additional VTP polygon. SBuilder can communicate with FS, so it can show you your position in FS. If you then slew around your airport/runway you can very easily draw your new VTP polygon in SBuilder. After that give it a grass texture for example and you will get a grass polygon like the default scenery that removes the autogen as well.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog