Sign in to follow this  
scott967

BGLXML 1.8 vs. NewBGLAnalyze1.0 when decompiling AP files

From the relevant documentation:"BGLXML is an utility which analyzes and decompiles BGL files""NewBglAnalyze is version 1 of a disassembler for BGL-files"

Interesting observations. Here are some of my own:NewBGLAnalyze corrupts AWOS and ASOS radio frequency type parameters. "AWOS" is changed to "ASOS", while "ASOS" is changed into a null string " ". This stops the string from compiling.NewBGLAnalyze changes 4-light PAPI displays into 2-light displays. This occurs when the parameter "PAPI4" is decompiled as "PAPI2". Note that the genuine "PAPI2" parameter is decompiled properly.Sometimes BGLXML inserts a bogus "deleteAllWindsocks" parameter into the DeleteAirport element. I have only seen this happen once. The resulting string did not compile.For what it's worth, NewBGLAnalyze seems to do a better job than BGLXML, especially with Approach elements. Neither program is perfect, but the shortcomings of NewBGLAnalyze are more easily identified in the decompiled output.Todd

Guest Bell206freak

Quote:+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Arno,The EULA states:"...the Microsoft software product identified above [MICROSOFTFLIGHT SIMULATOR 2004: A CENTURY OF FLIGHT], which includescomputer software and may include associated media, printedmaterials, and

"Your argument is moot, especially since Microsoft has given us the tools to modify the scenery ourselves in the form of SDKs."Exactly, Microsoft has provided the tools, so why is there a need to infringe the EULA by decompiling stock .bgls.

Guest Bell206freak

You never answered my other question.

The answer I probably have in many of the aircraft I've downloaded.As far as my own scenery is concerned, I create it using BGLCOMP based on the information in the SDK and put it in ..Addon Scenery/Scenery. My aircraft in create using GMax, and FSEdit, making use of the information in the Aircraft Container System SDK.The main theme of my posts is that those who infringe Microsoft's rights are in no position to complain when someone infringes their rights. Would you agree that's a reasonable point?

Writing of the EULA, this is what was quoted above:Limitations on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, ***except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.***So you can't disassemble, except when you can disassemble. The real question is what is "expressly permitted by applicable law"? In the US, there is some explicit language in the DMCA about reverse engineering content protection schemes, but outside of that I don't see nay reference one way or the other in copyright law. Maybe in trade secret law, perhaps?scott s..

BGLXML provides some helpful comment lines which can point you to the offset in the file so you can look at the binary for closer analysis.scott s..