Sign in to follow this  
arno

Stupid grid!!!

Guest ras78

Hi guys, I'm building the base of my LFRK2006 scenery. Basically I've built a patch grid and placed the right photo over each face. Well in GMax I can't see nothing wrong but when I load my scenery appears these lines.http://www.errewf.it/fs/problema.gifI've marked with white arrows. This artifact fade out when I come close to the terrain and it became more visible if I move far from ground. Anyone can help me to remove this? I've already tried to convert the textures in DXT1, DXT3 with and without mip-map. The txts are correctly mapped...I've seen some SimWings scenery which use orthophoto with my same technique, but without those stupids lines..Any help?Thanks!Alberto

>I've seen some SimWings scenery which use>orthophoto with my same>technique, but without those stupids lines..It could of course be that they are not using the floating point commands, but are still using the pre-Fs2002 code. That could make a difference.For my own photo grid I do use the floating point commands like GMax does and I must say my lines are not that visible. I use DXT1 textures with mipmaps.One additional thing you might want to check is if the texture size is set correctly in your texture list. That affects the selection of the mipmaps and might influence your edges as well.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest ras78

Hi Arno,I confirm that the size of my textures are correct (measured at pixel). I've simply exported my grid (made with GMax), using .asm tweaking and set to flat and no-crash. I've just hacked the asm file to set the correct layer. Is there another tweak which I have to do? what about floating point commands?thanks!PS: I generate the mip.maps with ImageTools, is there other ways?

Hi,I also use ImageTool to create my DXT textures. The alternative is DXTBMP, but I find ImageTool easier to use.I did not mean your texture size in pixels. In the ASM file there is your texture list and it has the size of that texture in meters defined. This information is used by FS to select the correct mipmap. So if that value is wrong you could be looking at the wrong mipmap. Below is an example of the texture list. In this case I set the size to 1000.0, as this grid covers an area of 1x1km.

TEXTURE_LIST_BEGINTEXTURE_DEF TEXTURE_GROUND	, <255,255,255,255>, 1000.00, "STVELD.BMP"; 0TEXTURE_LIST_END

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog