Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jet

GA Aircraft Engine Managment

Guest Jet

After having flown Turbines in FS2002 for years (who can resist the performance) the Commander has brought me back to earth and it is great.I was letting down after an enjoyable cruise at 14,000 feet and noticed it was very easy to reduce power while avoiding supercooling. I lowered to 25" of manifold and CHT satyed obediently in the green and ##### and EGT still maintained mid to upper temp ranges.Not even much leaning was required as I came down and enrichijng again did not overcool.Is it this easy in real life? I always seem to read about the difficulties of maintaining engine temp out of high alt. for the internal combustion power plants.Thanks all,

Its not so easy in my bonanza. First off-lowering the nose it picks up speed very quickly even with reduced power-and reducing power for an extended let down can take the cylinder head temp way down. I have found that I just have to plan my let down quite a ways out and make the loss of altitude very gradual. The good news is if I have to get down quickly I can drop the gear which almost acts like a speed brake-at that point I can get down almost like a cessna and keep the engine running at a higher setting. (There is another trick a bonanza expert showed me once which is to do a 45-50 degree bank and hold no back pressure-in the bonanza you will drop very fast but not pick up speed-but we won't go there! ;-) )I don't know about a Commander-I've never flown onehttp://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Guest Jet

Hey thanks for the info. and I'll hold off on the high bank overs.As suspected probably a shortcoming in the plan itself for FS2002.I had a funny feeling this was not simulated very well as I really had very little trouble keeping temps in line, which I thought required more effort...ie planning ones descent.To be accurate though, I think I'll take your advice and simulate temp managment with longer more gradual let downs.What rate do you use and do you do the 3 miles for every 1,000 feet rule?Thanks,