Sign in to follow this  
Guest gactucker

Programming approaches

Guest gactucker

I am new to this forum and scenery design. Have two newbie questions.1)If when I open an airport in afcad and it lists a runway as having Ils, but when I fly into that airport FS ATC never lists it as anything but visual does that mean that an approach is not included in the bgl file. 2) If this is the case. Having read bgl sdk and various posts on this forum, I think I can manage the xml, but I am unsure of where in the file to put the approach section. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me.

I looked into creating approaches but never got round to creating one so you may want to take my advive with a pinch of salt!Question 1: Having ILS does not mean that there are any approaches. The two are completely different, which is why AFCAD deals with navaids but not approaches. You can check if there any approaches using the default GPS.Question 2: I've always put addon bgls into C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Addon Sceneryscenery and they've always worked there.You can find more information on the real meaning of the different approach leg types by seaching for ARINC424 and in particular the following files:03-115.pdfiss3_0.pdfviewdoc.pdfARINC 424-16 costs $252!

I have started programming approaches a couple of weeks ago, and recenlty posted updated Las Vegas McCarren (KLAS) instrument approaches, which includes a new ILS RWY 1. I included notes in a text file with stuff I learned. Look for KLASIAP.ZIP download.I am working on updated approaches for Reagan Intl (KDCA), at which the FAA implemented the first RNAV RNP approach Sep 05. I hope to upload this to the library in the next couple of days. The biggest problem I am having is with the limited power of the default GPS and autopilot in FS9.1I am looking for anyone with experience building "RF" radius to fix legs. These are now a required segment in the RNP (required navigation performance) but I can't seem to get FS9 to respond to what I consider correct XML code.Dan DownsSEL, MEL, Instrument Commercial

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest gactucker

Thanks replying so quickly and for both the answer and suggested resources.

You need to go to the projectAI AFCAD forum, and look for threads with posts by jvile (jim vile). He sometimes is around here, but most of what you need is already at that forum, so rather than repeat it better to go there:http://www.discuss.projectai.com/index.phpYou have to drill down to the FlightSim / AFCAD forum.It's not quite a tutorial, which is what is really needed, but it works. You can also download any of his "active ils" files from AVSIM, and use as examples. In particular, besides designing the legs, you need to get the waypoints right, properly disasemble the default data out of the AP files, and put files in the proper locations. All of which have "gotchas" so read through the threads closely!scott s..

>Question 2: I've always put addon bgls into C:Program>FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Addon Sceneryscenery>and they've always worked there.This will work fine, however, I recommend that people do not do this. The reason is that sometimes, scenery BGL files can "overlap" and cover the same area. Sometimes, this can have undesireable results, when you have two different sceneries competing for the same space, or possibly when one scenery file excludes other. Also, it makes it difficult to uninstall scenery if you want to install a newer version, or whatever.For example, I often get emails from people complaining that my Bangkok scenery is all messed up. 99% of the time, the reason is that the user has already installed Jan Martin's excellent jetways for Bangkok into the same common scenery folder as my Bangkok scenery. The result is duplicate jetways and terminal buildings. The smae problem occurs with AFCAD2 files when users either overwrite mine with Jan's, or don't overwrite Jan's with mine. Either way, the emails flood in, and the cause invariably turns out to be that the user installed all the files to the common scenery folder.There's nothing I can do to prevent this, except maybe use a auto-installer (which I don't like), and recommend to users in my documentation that users create a seperate folder for every scenery that they download. - Martin

Guest gactucker

Thanks, will have a lookGareth