Sign in to follow this  
Guest jimkeir

beginner's landclass question

I am new to scenery designing and want to start my first project, which is an improved landclass file for a specific area in South Africa.I have Landclass Assistant installed and own a donwloaded freeware africa land class bgl, which is quite good but not good enough.Now instead of having to retile a whole grid (Landclass Assistant's standard approach) would it not be possible to just use the existing bgl file and to replace only the wrong lc values with more appropriate ones?I have tried in vain to decompile the bgl into a raw file which could then be opened and worked on in landclass assistant. Is there a special utility to achieve that?Thanks so much for your help!Roland

Hello Roland,You do not have to retile an entire grid. Just assign land class where you wish to change from the default (or any other land class file that you are using.) The rest of the grid will use the land class assignments from the other files.Best regards.Luis

Thank you, Luis !I was aware about that but what I want to do is to replace more than 200 tiles with a specific landclass value which are spread all over that grid of the existing land class file with another value. The current (wrong) value is for crop and farmland but should be savannah instead. It would be a huge task to find and write down all coordinates of the grids with the wrong value and then to manually enter the new correct value in a new project, so I am looking for an easier way.Is there another approach?Roland

Guest jimkeir

Hi,Yeah, you could email me and ask for an update :) Not nearly so satisfying as modifying it yourself of course, but considerably easier.Could you produce a sketch-map of the areas where you want crop/farmland to be replaced with savannah? I can reprocess the data and send you an update. The only thing to worry about is that *all* crop/farmland in Africa would be replaced with savannah, which probably isn't correct. However, I can reprocess in different regions. It really depends on exactly what and where the changes are.Cheers,Jim

Jim,That's very generous but I would obviously prefer to have the changes just in that specific area and that rest of Africa can stay the same.It's quite a task to do just that one region and I am wondering whether it's not easier if you could e-mail me a copy of your raw file with the lc. I would only need the southern part of Africa, say from 22"00' to 26"00' south.Once done I will e-mail you my new file.Cheers,Roland

Guest jimkeir

Hi,I can do if you want. However, those files were processed using some code I wrote specifically for the purpose. It's not really suitable for public release because it's so specific, but it doesn't take me long to reprocess the original data using slightly different rules. All you'd need to do is find a map of Africa and draw a line around the area where you want farmland replaced by savannah and email that to me :) I can also do selective replacement, so if you want for example 80% changed to savannah but the rest left as rural farms, that can be done too.The raw file for all of Africa could easily be several hundred meg, I can't really remember. I'll see how big the section you want is; if it's small enough to transfer by network, I don't have any problems giving you the raw data. I'd rather not max out the bandwidth on my website though and email isn't really suitable for something that size. If you've got somewhere I could upload something I can do that.Alternatively you could go to the original source data from the JRC - I think there's a link to the site in the readme that came with the landclass.Cheers,Jim