Sign in to follow this  
Snaker1

FSX Autogen and FS9 textures

Hi folks -I have a question that maybe can't be answered yet but here it goes:Based on the information released so far there are two things I can tell regarding FSX: 1) The way FSX will access data and use textures will allow for the use of FS9 textures in FSX. 2)That FSX will likely have increased settings for Autogen. I am wondering if existing FS9 textures (ie. BEV/GE) are used in FSX will they allow the increased Autogen to show or will they only show the max amount allowed in FS9 ? I am not too familiar with the Autogen SDK so any comments or best guesses are appreciated. :)

The autogen SDK mentions the fact that future versions may support denser autogen, so the facility is there to put as many objects in as you want to represent reality, and hope that in the future it'll display it all. From memory, at present a single LOD tile can display 600 trees and 300 buildings. When autogenning, I normally stop at 300 buildings per tile. There are 2 reasons for that, first it takes time, so I don't autogen any more than I have to, and also if there are more than the current display limit the sim will decide which autogen objects to display -- I prefer to have that control myself. Putting in 300 buildngs means that I'll see them all, so I can help the reality factor by grouping buildings rather than just laying them on every building in the tile image.Trees are a bit different, as one vegetation area can have multiple trees, depending on its size. So it is possible that you'll automatically see an increase in the number of trees in FSX using current autogenned scenery. However many designers -- including me -- use huge numbers of small (single tree-sized) vegetation areas, rather than big areas. Again, this gives more control over the placement. I md sure looking forward to seeing it anyway...Visit the Windowlight forum on Avsim... everything you need to know about New Zealand flightsim sceneryhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...forum=203&page=

Thanks for the explination/reply Toprob. I am debating if I should purchase some of the new ground textures for FS9. I guess that only time will tell how these will work/look in FSX.:)