I'm trying to create roads in my scenery and have tried LWM5, Sbuilder and I'm currently trying to use ground2k4 to no avail. I've read the tutorials and I still can't get roads to show up in my scenery. I can remesh with no problem using LWM5, but no roads. Can anyone tell me what program would be best and step by step how to make roads appear in my scenery?AJ

Hello AJ,In my opinion. the best programs for drawing roads, in no particular order, are Ground2K4, SBuilder, and LWM5. No, just kidding, trying to inject a bit of levity.Perhaps you could give us a step-by-step description of your procedure, and show us some screenshots of your working project in any of those programs. This would help to diagnose the problem.Please note that a common problem, as indicated in the Ground2K for Beginner's tutorial, is that roads must be a certain minimum width in order to display, I think about 20 meters.Best regards.Luis

Guest Bell206freak

If you need assistance with SBuilder, I can help. I have had no problems with SBuilder. I find it to be easier because its user interface is 1. in the English Language, and 2. it has an easier user interface that's more understandable.Once you get the hang of it, you'll appreciate Sbuilder's ease over G2K4.

Here is what I've done to no avail, step by step with the LWM5 and Ground2K4(Please note that the gravel road you see in the screen shots is the default road that I'm trying to replace with 2lane, undivided asphalt road.)LWM:1 Set up all the properties of the project.(see LWM5a)2.Drew my line, gathered my LWM, VTP point info.(see LWMb)3.Generated the LWM and VTP source, compiled through bglc placed the bgl's in the scenery folder and ran the program, and CRASH!!!For LWM5 I used "253" for custom textures put the name of the texture I wanted to use for the asphalt road in the box, put the bmp in the both texture folders, the main FS9 folder and the local texture folder of the scenery area.(see LWM5c) Ground2k41.Opened my project set up the properties(see ground2k4a, :(2.Drew my line.(see ground2k4c)3.Hit the generate bgl button, placed the bgl in the scenery folder ran the program and..........no road in the scenery.

Can you send me a private message and tell me step by step what I need to do to get the roads I need?ajweber@ajweber.com

Hello Aj,you can use LWMViewer from Jim Keir to check, if your bgls contain valid scenery data.BTW: Looking at your last picture: It seems, that you use 'Rhumbaflappys' cellgrid in the screenshoots. That is a very good idea indeed!But should the dotted lines in G2K (area) not exactly follow the red area-borders of the cellgrid? Maybe your project coordinates are wrong?Another thing: Check, that you have the latest TDF-macros and the road bgls are actually build.Best regards, Edgar

Edgar is on to something here - I think he has got it.AJ, in your screenshot, you are showing various Areas, almost 9 of them, that correspond to only one Area in Dick's CellGrid. So, it would seem that your project coordinates are not correct, and perhaps you are creating the roads somewhere far from where you expect them to be and also in the wrong scale.Please verify that your project coordinates are correct. If they seem right to you, please show a screenshot of the coordinates page in Ground2K4 - often, another person can spot what one has missed.Otherwise, there is nothing complicated about drawing any terrain elements. The only possible problems for lines are insufficient width and incorrect coordinates, I believe. So, that is what should be checked.Best regards.Luis

AJ,I usually purchase few pay addons. Several months ago, I purchased USA Roads. I have been very satisfied. I recently finished creating the local airport for FS9. During development, a USA Road went through some default T-Hangars. That wouldn't work so I took my Garmin GPS over to the airport and took some lat longs for comparison. The default road was a few hundred feet off. USA Roads depiction of same road was within 20 feet. Thats obviously within a margin of error. I was pleased and made the adjustment in my scenery.My hope is that the available info that USA Roads has effectively used is default in FSX.Good luck,

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Hello Aj,a) does G2K4 generate line bgls (xxxxx_9.bgl) ?:( The screens look fine in my eyes, but did you check the coordinates of NW and SE corner?Best regards,Edgar

Yes it does generate those titled bgl's. How can I check the NW and NE east corners on a screen shot map?AJ

Hello AJ,As Edgar mentioned, your coordinates are not correct.First, you are placing your roads in China! If you slew to those coordinates, you will undoubtedly find that your road has been properly created.Please note that the coordinate system is a simple Cartesian coordinate system. The Equator would be the x-axis, and the Greenwich meridian is the y-axis. Therefore, everything to the North or East is positive and everything to the West or South is negative.So, if you wish to create that road in the vicinity of Camp Pendleton, please change your longitude to -117.etc.In addition, you have made your coordinates cover a larger area than your screenshot. When your coordinates are correct, the dashed lines in Ground2K4 will lie directly over the red CellGrid lines, as so:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/143303.jpgYou will notice that your work space shows the dashed lines not falling on the red CellGrid lines, so you must insert the correct values for the background image coordinates.Besides CellGrid, Dick also kindly provided us with his TCalc - this program allows you to slew anywhere in FS and obtain much useful information.Just slew to the Northwest point of the Area in your background image, note the coordinates in TCalc, do the same with the Southeast point, then enter the correct coordinates in Ground2K4.Best regards.Luis