Sign in to follow this  
Guest sdf

Reflective textures for Scenery Objects; easiest approa...

Guest unglajo10

HiI would like to create a reflective texture for a scenery object.If I follow the MS GMAX Material Guide I have to apply a diffuse map and a specular map with an alpha channel and it must be the same name.If I follow this guide and use a DXT3 texture I end up with transparent texture instead of reflections.Is the only way to get reflective scenery objects tweaking the asm file (change Texture Building to Texture Aircraft) and using bglc_9 to solve the problem, or is there a more straight forward solution?If tweaking is the only solution, can I create mdl files with bglc_9?Looking forward for an answer.Kind regardsJ

You need to check "Reflection" in the Maps rollout in the GMax Material Editor and assign the diffuse map to it there - otherwise you get transparency!

Hi Jorg,No, in the Fs2004 gamepack it only works if you change the texture type in the ASM code as you already mentioned (it was only due to a bug in the Fs2002 MakeMDL that it worked there).So for now tweaking is the only solution, I am working on a tool that allows you to tweak the MDL files without touching the source code yourself. That will also allow such changes, but that functionality is not yet ready.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest unglajo10

Dear ArnoThanks for your answer. I hoped that there is an easier solution but I can live with tweaking the source code.Kind Regards from Muttenz/SwitzerlandJ

Guest sdf

You can create scenery objects with reflective texture using FSDS 2. With FSDS 3 is this not possible since it use makemdl and BGLC to compile the BGL and you have the same results like with gmax.Ciao, Sergio