Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy58

Is Landsat-7 good enough?

Guest andy58

Having read the uploader copyright issues warning there might be a problem uploading the SDK Tools, Resample and Imagetool, although it's been done in the past with other uploads and utilities that rely on them.Anybody know what the situation is with this.I can post the batchfile listing so you can see how it's done but you would be faced with the same problem with your own upload using this method.We could always upload without them and have the use provide them themselves.Andy

Guest RipPipPip

>What size is your source image as a jpg file? You can create>a batch mode scenery uploading a jpg, batch, inf file with>Resample and ImageTool. The user resaves the jpg as bmp, then>runs the batch file to create the scenery.>Mmm, interesting concept ... like to prepare a pizza using own microvawe owen :))Should keep an eye on it, when the info will come up ...Size of a JPG used to be 10x less then BMP, normally?Pretty interesting but this means that everyone user should invest his/her time to run resampler...and there also could be a drop in quality because of BMP->JPG conversion?Cheers, Rysiek

Guest RipPipPip

Just an UPDATE:I've downloaded ACT ( Australia ) Upgrade by Patrick Fogarty (act_2002.zip) and have read the readme file.Looks very promising. I wonder if ClickTeam installer (http://www.clickteam.com/) could be used to automate conversion process?Then I wait for your .bat version, Andy.Cheers, Rysiek

Guest andy58

He actually includes a utility called DJPG that converts the JPG to BMP but I found it only worked with smaller files than I use and it's not hard for the user to resave as a BMP and resize. (Convim.EXE Martin Wrights Image Format Converter does most formats including DDS, DXT, BMP etc and the resize seems to be bicubic resample or as good as).This is the text of the batch file I use. It is just changed for the later version of the utilities and so that you get to see the prompts while while the scenery is being created and the textures converted to DXT format. The FS2004 SDK versions are 1004 for Resample and 1003 for ImageTool. They produce different output than the earlier ones, no TMF file and different graphic files.I can't see any real difference between producing scenery this way or directly with the usual utilities. You would loose detail if you resized the image and I only do that because my source is only 30m in the firstplace. You wouldn't do that with yours but the upload would be bigger than mine which is less than 2MB.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/145190.txt

Guest RipPipPip

Thanks for the example.I think the best solution for me in practise would be to write a specialized installer (in VB6), containing JPG -> BMP conversion code (for example:FreeImage (incl. bicubic resampling!) from http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/download.html) and also Microsoft's resample.exe and imagetool.exe.MS does write this in his EULA of FS2004 Terrain SDK:"Redistributable Code.You may reproduce and distribute portions of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT designated as

Guest andy58

Great looking scenery. Yes, thanks, I went through the EULA too and found that it's ok to redistribute the files. I found one redist.txt but there was nothing listed in it so no extra files need to be included in the upload. Maybe they no longer include it if nothing is required.I wish I had kept up with my programming for what I was wanting to do too, to create a multisource inf file to save assembling a mosaic from the source images. I think I can do it through the spreadsheet that I calculate the coords with using macros. Worth playing around with.That area you mention is massive. My limitation is assembling the mosaic by hand, each 512x512 tile represents about 15km x 15km, which is why a utility to do it would come in handy. I've done the pseudocode and have the formula from the spreadsheet so time will tell.I'll upload my Reunion scenery to the File Library tonight, it's only about 2MB.CheersAndy

Guest andy58

Foiled again. When I read the conditions fully they want an email contact for the author in the readme. I not getting back into all that spam again so I'll have to pass. I'll check back with virtualVFR and see if they've checked it out yet and let you know.On the other front I'm well into testing my spreadsheet macro to create multisource inf files. I've struck a problem with it not concatenating some values into a writeln string in the output but it looks like I should have it working once I sort that out.What I am working toward is:Getting a rough coord from Fsim.Downloading an area with a TileDownloader which also gives me the tile numbers.(Many datasets and resolutions)Confirm the tiles I want to use with Explorer thumbnail view.Enter the UL and LR tile number in my spreadsheet and run the macro to produce the inf file.Batch resize the source images involved.Run the inf file with Resample/ImageTool.It may not be very elegant but I'd estimate less than a half hour turn around per scenery based on what I am already able to do. I should be able to do quite large, even irregular areas if Resample works the way it does with mesh.RegardsAndy

Guest RipPipPip

Hi!>Foiled again. When I read the conditions fully they want an>email contact for the author in the readme. I not getting back>into all that spam again so I'll have to pass. I'll check back>with virtualVFR and see if they've checked it out yet and let>you know.Spam is not a problem for me, I get tons of it already :)If I will make an installer I will attach resample.exe and imagetool.exe somwhere "inside" and wait if I make any harm to MS with that, or NO.>Downloading an area with a TileDownloader which also gives me>the tile numbers.(Many datasets and resolutions)>Confirm the tiles I want to use with Explorer thumbnail view.You mean World Wind environment here, Andy?I grab "mine" Landsat-7 from here: http://glcfapp.umiacs.umd.edu:8080/esdi/index.jspand cut-off appriopriate areas, using similar Excel engine, than yours, I guess.Regards, Rysiek

Guest RipPipPip

OK,as I proceed I've found that mine color guessing was not, ummmmmm, right enough. Thanks Google Earth I corrected HUE conversion to something more apriopriate then before, I guess.BTW- next areas can be added quicker and quicker because of some Excel basic routines, automating the process of .inf generation.Mount Kenya, this time:mtkenya016lq.jpgRegards, Rysiek

Guest andy58

The MS utilities are redistributed in many of the Fsim utilities already, FSResample Tool, SRTM TO BGL, Photo Scenery Maker I think and several others.The TileDownloader I use is a Worldwind related utility that gives more control over what you download rather than just panning around in Worldwind.http://forum.worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/index....wtopic=3004&hl=If you download to a folder other than Worldwind the tiles will remain jpg. Into WW itself they are converted to DDS when it runs which means you need to use the Nvidia Explorer utility to view them as thumbnails in Explorer.I resolved most of my problems with the macro and am producing multisource inf files, at last! Just need to add a counter to number the sources and I'm done. Was an interesting exercise. Have never actually done a macro before and my last programming was back in the 80's, Basic, Pascal, Forth(my favourite then), C, I think C+ was just coming in, it's the last textbook I bought.Andy

Guest andy58

I made it into production today and am working on an area 2 x 4 deg. between E130/S12 and E134/S14. A few problems with the seams between the source images about every 15km(see pic). Need to play with the CellX/Y deg. thing a bit more but not bad for processing 174 individual source images.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/145603.jpg

Guest RipPipPip

Nice, Andy!For your information: I used for calculating tiles and preparing .inf files PhotoCalc utility by Richard Ludowise => http://webpages.charter.net/ludowr/PhotoCalc.zip butquickly made my mind to reverse engineer its funcionality and made my own Excel application. The most important core of the algorithm I publish below: ResExtN = (Int(SelExtN / LatDegBound) + 0.5) * LatDegBound ResExtW = (Int(SelExtW / LonDegBound) + 0.5) * LonDegBound ResExtS = (Int(SelExtS / LatDegBound) + 0.5) * LatDegBound ResExtE = (Int(SelExtE / LonDegBound) + 0.5) * LonDegBoundwhere: SelExtN - user selected extent N corner, and so on for W, S, E LatDegBound - Lat Deg Boundaries for LOD13: 0.010986328, and so on for LonDegBound: 0.014648438 ResExtN - FS2004 Resample Extent N corner, and so on for W, S, E SugExtN = ResExtN + LatDegBound SugExtW = ResExtW - LonDegBound SugExtS = ResExtS - LatDegBound SugExtE = ResExtE + LonDegBoundwhere: SugExtN - Suggested Photo Dowload Extent N corner, and so on for W, S, EUsing the above, after inputting NW and SE point extents, the program calculates ResExtN, W, S, E and SugExtN, W, S, E and thenautomatically generates .inf files. Now every area aligns properly.BTW: I am still tuning the way that my graphic program enhances colors and this is not the easy task, because Landsat-7 does is so blurry when flying low...Anyway, there is an approach attempt to Malta's Luqa LMML :malta016li.jpgNote: Mmmmmm, looks like the mesh is misplaced. I am sure that phototextures are laid correct, because add-on LMML I use matches well with them. I shall try other mesh today ...malta027qu.jpgRegards, Rysiek

Guest RipPipPip

Just note to the note above regarding misplaced mesh, that I thought was the reason.No! The reason is again MS and its HL951190.bgl, which flattens mesh where MS thinks should be the water. But it is not precise, so that is why there is a step down in the middle of Malta :)Cheers, Rysiek

Guest andy58

That algorithm looks like fun but I don't need anything like that the way I'm doing it running the inf file with a batch file. All I need to know is that for both, 0.011 and 0.015(rounded up), I can use 0.02. It is greater than both and less than the next boundary for both so working W to E deg. by deg. I can use E133 and E134.02 and for the next block, E134 and E135.02, and the blocks will always join perfectly. Same deal for N to S.At the moment I create the inf for about 4 deg wide by .75 deg high then punch out blocks about .7 x.7 changing only the destination section of the inf for each block. I could create a larger inf but I think it is limited to about 400+ source files(I found with mesh). Also reading many 6MB sources for each iteration is slower than one large source although it's just a matter of waiting. The only work for me is about 15 min resizing the ~200 sources with Convim and creating the inf(about 1 sec plus 1 min minor reformatting using replace until I get a grip on the spreadsheet macro formating)You can create your own coastline using a B/W alphamask of your source image. Over land you need to turn off the offending BGL. There is a bad one up in Guilin in China cutting through the SRTM mesh and all. ....Must have deleted the image. This is a bit more of Kakadu National Pk that I have been working on.RegardsAndyhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/145671.jpg

Guest andy58

I got the whole area done covering 4 x 4 deg. Interesting exercise but had it down pat by the time I finished. The last row I did was 1 deg. high by 4 deg. wide. and found it was best to cut it in 1 x 1 deg. areas. This took about 40 min. ea to crunch but there were 232 sources it had to work on about 60 at a time.I found that enlarging the sources from 512x512 to 1536x1536 left an edge along the right and bottom as a result of the resampling. This shows up in places like a track or road but is only about every 15km, the area covered by the source image. This doesn't happen with a large single source or if it does it is usually cropped off cutting the textures. It's not a big problem but better without it.BTW the Reunion Island batch scenery I did as an example is now on virtualVFR.comHere is a pic of Darwin from my Northern Territory scenery. It's about 4GB or 250MB per 1 x 1deg.Andyhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/146045.jpg