Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

New video card - Should I open the box?

Guest Wayne Smith

I just received a gift from my wife - a Visiontek GF4 TI4600/128MB DDR! I have been using a GF2 Ultra/64 MB. My system is a P4 1.4GHz with 256MB RAM, running Windows ME.Three questions:Should I keep the card, or swap for another brand of GF4?What are the drivers that everyone has had the most success with on WinME with card?What's the best way to migrate from the GF2 Ultra that came with my Dell Dimension 8100 to the new VisionTek?Thanks!Wayne

>I just received a gift from my wife - a Visiontek GF4 >TI4600/128MB DDR! Let me know if your wife is ever available :-beerchug

Guest Max Cowgill

>I just received a gift from my wife - a Visiontek GF4 >TI4600/128MB DDR! I have been using a GF2 Ultra/64 MB. My >system is a P4 1.4GHz with 256MB RAM, running Windows ME. >>Three questions: >>Should I keep the card, or swap for another brand of GF4? >>What are the drivers that everyone has had the most success >with on WinME with card? >>What's the best way to migrate from the GF2 Ultra that came >with my Dell Dimension 8100 to the new VisionTek? If you don't want the card you could always send it to me ;) Your P4 1.4GHz is definitely going to be the bottleneck in your system though, seeing as how a PIII 1GHz is just as fast... I think you'd be better off trading in the video card for a new mobo/cpu and keeping your GF2 than if you just pop in the GF4. Max Cowgill

The best way to "migrate" from your GF2 Ultra to the 4600 is:1. Open the case.2. Take out the GF2 Ultra and replace with the 4600.3. Close the case back up.4. Install the latest drivers.5. Send your GF2 to another less fortunate person. (BTW I have a GF2 Ultra laying around if anyone wants to make me an offer!) :)6. Enjoy!!I did just this a few months ago for my system. I bought a GF2 Ultra 500 last year and I have a AMD 1800+ XP processor and I DISAGREE with Max. Except I would add another 256MB as well. There were NOTICABLE frame rates at higher resolutions and all around SMOOTHER!So, that is my solution for you!Carmine "The Big Ragu" :-cool

I just this last week changed out an ASUS geforce 2GTS 32Megs with an Evga geforce 4 TI4400 and was amazed at the change in video quality. The video output quality has been steadily improved since the geforce 2 family of cards. They use better filters now on the video output signals. One feature that I now get is the digital vibrance which allows you to enhance the color saturation, which in FS2k2 makes the colors that much better. Also I am now able to use the higher order FSAA settings, with my old card 2X was the highest obtainable with 32 megs, now I can use the 4XS setting and it blew me away at how much better it looks.The main reason for the change was my never ending battle with having a dual monitor set up. With my old geforce I had to have a second video card using a PCI slot, I had problems with smearing of the graphics on the secondary card, this was aggravating to say the least. With the dual head of the geforce 4 TI series you will have an easier time of setting up dual monitor rig if you so choose in the future. As for frames, there was no difference for me between cards. As a possible suggestion pop in the new card and see what you think then decide if you want to keep it.As for Visiontek, they make good cards. The difference really between brands is more in the accessories and type of software bundle. Most manufactureres use the Nvidia reference design, so there is virtually no differences in the design. I chose the Evga with Nvidia cooling cause it was very inexpensive and has VIVO which I will use with my camcorder.Scott..

Nice wife... Take that woman out to dinner. :-)I'd definitely keep and use the GF4. While Max is correct that a P4 at 1.4 is barely as fast as a PIII at 1.0, anything in a Ghz range will be just fine to push a GF4 to the levels you desire from my testing. Only when we're talking about low-range systems such as PIII-500's should you worry about gaining little benefit from a GF4.On your system you should be able to run at quite high res with AA very enjoyably - albeit with some performance problems at the densest of airports and scenery.Enjoy your new, excellent, card.Take care, http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

My wife got me a CH Flightsim Yoke.and made me sausage rolls for me to take to work today, where everybody called them 'pigs in a blanket'Such is the life of an expatriate in Southern California!

I have the same board. No problems.BobG

Guest JonP01

Wayne, you lucky lucky bloke. That is one hell of a present. If the typical Australian wife gave that present to the typical Australian husband, that present would represent nearly two weeks wages after tax :-eek Even in the US, that is one BIG present. Enjoy it and as Elrond says, you owe your wife a dinner :-)

Guest Wayne Smith

Thanks everyone for your comments! :-)Yes, I have a very supportive "flight sim wife"! I installed the new board tonight, and tried it in the Bell 206 over NYC at night, 1024 X 768 X 32 at 4X AA. Looks and works great!I installed the drivers that came with the board - .2742 VisionTek drivers. Should I upgrade to the newest nVidea ref drivers?Wayne

Guest JonP01

I found the 27.42 to be a very good driver set, with no issues using my particular settings. 27.42 remains my second best driver however, with 28.80 (ASUS) being even better again. I also got a noticeable jump in 3D mark 2001 scores with the 28.80 vs 27.42 for what that is worth (if anything). I would suggest using the 27.42 as your "reference" driver, and then experiment with later ones, as it is quick and easy to swap between drivers. Just make sure your driver works with all apps, as sometimes some drivers have issues with certain apps but not others.