Sign in to follow this  
Guest kenmc

Making textures with Photoshop 7

Guest kenmc

Hi Folks- I'm trying to make my own textures, using Photoshop 7, so I can use them in EOD, but I'm running into a problem. I'll describe what I'm doing and maybe somebody can see what I'm doing wrong. In Photoshop,I create a new file and in the window that opens I set the pixel width to 512, length to 512 and resolution to 72 and click OK. I then open the Jpg. I'm using and copy and paste it to the new 512 x 512 pixel image. I set the Image mode to RGB color and 8 bit/channel and save as a Bmp. The Bitmap Options window that appears shows several choices three of which that are not active[1,4,8] and 16, 24, 32 with 24 being the default[i selected 16]. I saved the BMP and then drag and drop it over the Imagetool.exe. In the Imagetool window that opens I go to Image/Format/16; Then Image again "Create mip maps". The result is several images shown in decreasing sizes. I then save the new BMP and use it in EOD to make the new object. I installed the BMP in the main Texture folder of FS9. I then installed the object into FS9 using SBuilder.I go to FS9 to find only a white object with no textures. I've tried several combinations 512 x 512, 256 x 256, using 8,16,24,32 Bit, even DXT1 but still the same result. Any help would be appreciated.Regards, Ken

Hi Ken,It is best to store your textures in the texture folder that belongs to the scenery folder where you put your BGL file. This keeps things more organised.The rest of your procedure sounds correct. For Fs2004 it is adviced to use the DXT format with mipmaps.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest kenmc

Arno, I've tried putting the texture in the Texture folder of the scenery I'm making as well as using the DXT format with mipmaps, still no luck. Any other suggestions?Regards, Ken

Guest Dan G Martin

Hi there Ken I like Arno do not use EOD but you might want to check the mapping of your meshes in EOD. If your meshes are showing up in the sim with out any textures you might not be exporting the mapping info along with your meshes. Hope this is of some help. Dan Martin.

Guest kenmc

Dan Excuse my ignorance, but how would I check to see if the mapping info is being exported with the mesh.Regards, Ken

HiNot sure why you are going down this path"EOD does not support the new XML scenery code."Go to GMAX where there will be a future foryour creative efforts.RegardsTas

Guest Dan G Martin

Hi there Ken it might be hard for me to help you as I've never used EODyou might tell me a little about what you are doing in EOD first I.E. how are you applying your bitmaps to your mesh etc. I like many other people do not use EOD(at least I never have). The problems you are having with the textures not showing up in the sim can be the result of many things not being done right not just mapping. So if you could expand on what you are doing in EOD I or others might be of more help to you. You also might look into learning gmax or FSDS as they are more widely used and I and many other people would be able to give you any pointers you might need. Sorry I can't be of more help to you at this time. Dan Martin

Guest kenmc

Dan Thanks for your imput. I've tried Gmax some time ago and found EOD much easier to use. I've redone several British Columbia airports,making everything,from baggage carts to control towers and Terminals to Gas Stations using FS9,Nova,Nova Gold and NovaSim textures, so I know my method of application is OK. I've downloaded a program called GIMP and I'll try that instead of Photoshop to make my textures. Thanks again.Regards, Ken

Guest kenmc

Dan Thanks for your imput. I've tried Gmax some time ago and found EOD much easier to use. I've redone several British Columbia airports,making everything,from baggage carts to control towers and Terminals to Gas Stations using FS9,Nova,Nova Gold and NovaSim textures, so I know my method of application is OK. I've downloaded a program called GIMP and I'll try that instead of Photoshop to make my textures. Thanks again.Regards, Ken

Guest Dan G Martin

Just a thought as a test just try to export your textures as 8 bit indexed bit maps they will show up in FS and while they are not the preferred type to use they are a "standard" texture type. Also I've noted you until now have not used any of your "own" textures you might simply load one of the standard Nova textures in to Photoshop and look at what type they are and try to save your textures out as the same typeI.E 8 bit indexed. Please note RGB textures will not display in the sim.That might be your problem. Dan

"I installed the BMP in the main Texture folder of FS9. I then installed the object into FS9 using SBuilder.I go to FS9 to find only a white object with no textures."Which Texture folder do you mean ???( C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 2004Addon Scenerytexture )or ( C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 2004Texture )

Guest kenmc

Dan Sorry I didn't get back to you, but I've been away. I tried what you suggested but I still get the same results. Most of the Nova textures seem to be [256x256] 8 Bit. When I try to make mine I get [256x256] Extended FS70 etc. I notice that most of the textures done by other simmers are [512x512] Extended FS70 16 Bit DXT1 Bitmaps. You said not to use RGB Textures because they won't show up. Yet in the Gmax#1 tutorial from "SK-Fightsim.com" they say to set the image to RGB, 8 bits channel. Do you make your own textures, and if so, maybe you or someone else could run me through the steps. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who would like to learn how to do this.Regards, Ken