Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Fun with lines

VTP lines are an extremely powerful feature of the terrain engine. This is nothing new and Dick Ludowise probably described all the details a few years ago. There are some people who have been using their own line definitions in scenery as well, such as Holger and others. And, both Christian Fumey's Ground2K4 and Luis de S

Hi Luis.Great examples!I also hope for FSX we can have a bit more control with our local folders. In this case, perhaps they could save the The terrain.cfg, but allow us to override it, in a local scenery folder, with our own terrain.cfg.I sympathize with the design team, in that their goal is to design the scenery shipped with the sim... not to insure addon scenery works. They don't addon anything!Dick

Guest fame

Good Morning Luis:Bravo... A first-rate tutorial concerning VTP Lines.I

Luis,Excellent reference material for designing scenery.RegardsShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

This looks very interesting. I've found the poles are too spaced in the default lines, so I decided to edit them to a more realistic value of 60 meters. I've found that there are some road sections with no poles at all, specially in turns. Is it there any way of fixing this?And I have another question: where can I check the GUID of the default autogen trees? I'd like to include some trees in the middle of the road.Best regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Hola Luis Miguel,Thank you for pulling this thread out of the archives.The reason why the objects are so widely spaced is to improve performance. You may see problems if you add more of them, but of course this will depend on your hardware, settings, and the type of flights that you make.I do not remember that the vegetation in FS 9 was in an object library, so you will not be able to use it for this purpose. For FS X, the new vegetation is listed in the Global Library Objects file.Best regards.Luis

Thank you for pulling this thread out of the archives.
De nada Luis. I've just seen this before in the Beginner's Guide, but with the request there, I decided to comment here instead of creating a new topic. The "great, big BOOOH!" was very useful when searching for the topic.
I do not remember that the vegetation in FS 9 was in an object library, so you will not be able to use it for this purpose. For FS X, the new vegetation is listed in the Global Library Objects file.
Well, I had to use Arno Gerretsen's tree library included in RWY12 Object Placer. I copied the GUID referenced in the manual, and set up terrain.cfg so I'd have in the middle of the road a tree each 60 meters. It worked, but I saw something I didn't like: There were some parts of the road with no trees at all, even when there were more than 60 m from the closest tree in the same line. Maybe it is because a 3-segment line in Ground2k4 is treated in FS9 as 3 different lines? If so, how can I get some trees in curves?Best regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Hola Luis Miguel,I don't really know why the trees do not display under those conditions. As a last resort, you can always use an object placement tool to fill in the gaps.Best regards.Luis

I took my time last night (a Friday night? come on...) rectifying the roads in my project. There were some lines with 10-15 points, which could be easily described with only 3. I compiled in Ground2k4 and installed in FS9: now I can see more objects.... or should I say less object gaps in the roads. So I guess I was correct: a 3-segment line in G2k4 is seen in FS as 3 different lines and FS will place objects for each line independently. Now to get some practice with object placement tools (SBuilder, RWY12)...Best regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel

Best regards,