Sign in to follow this  
arno

Maxim viewing distance for MDL scenery objects?

Guest J442

I am working on some small 3D Islands to place as scenery. It seemsthat the maxim default (MakeMDL) viewing distance is around20 miles. I would like to get the distance to 30 miles. Any suggestions?Thanks

Hi,You can't increase the maximum viewing distance, the scenery engine determines that for you. You can only restrict it, if the distance is to big.In general the distance the scenery engine determines is fine (or a bit too long often), as the MDL objects are supposed to be used for 3D objects. Not really to make entire islands with, for those things the mesh scenery is better in general.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest J442

Thank you for your information, it is well taken. I plan to look intomesh building.The two islands I am working with are small about 1600 meters (1 mile)long. I thought, after seeing that some FS9 generic objects are largerthan the two islands I am doing it would be feasible in this instance. In all the tests that I did with the maximum viewing distance it doesseem that the maximum distance is 20 miles (32,500 meters). I will settle for that. It would be nice in some rare occasions to be able togo beyond that viewing distance. May be with FS10.If any one has a different conclusion on the 20 mile maximum viewingdistance please let me know, this is nice information to have.Thanks

Hi,The 20 nm distance you meantion sounds correct to me. That is also what I have seen (and what earlier discussions mention). When making large bridges people had the same trouble, as they should be visible from a long distance as well.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog