Sign in to follow this  
Guest dodger

FS Design Studio

Guest dodger

Hello, I would like some advice please, i am going to try building with Abacus FS Design Studio V3, one thing i would like to know is when you place an object in Flight Simulator, say a Oil Rig for instance, is it a case of putting in the coordinates of Long/Lat to where you want it, it may of course tell me this in the read me files but i have not purchased it yet and would just like to know if this is how its done. Any help would be appreciated , Thanks . Roger.

Hi there,FSDS3 exports objects into FS2004 using the makemdl.exe program that is part of the SDK. You can download the SDKs for free from MS, and it would be a good idea to do that. Some of this stuff seems daunting at first, but it is really not that hard. Basically, here how it goes:1. Build model in FSDS32. export scenery object as a .mdl file3. Create a .xml scenery file header (this puts your .mdl file into a library and places the lat and long of the object)4. Compile the .xml file into a .bgl scenery fileDone.The .xml file can be edited to adjust the lat and long as well as rotation, tilt, scale, etc. It's not as hard as it sounds, but it's not very intuitive. No fault of FSDS3, but maybe they could have streamlined this a bit better for us. It's a similar method to GMAX. BTW, have you tried GMAX? It's free. FSDS3 is easier (for me), but both programs have learning curves before you become proficient.- Martin

Guest dodger

Hi Martin, Thats great, i will purchase it and give it a go, no i have not used GMAX infact i have kept away from any sort of design but i want some oil rigs for a particular place in FS2004 and can,t get them anywhere so i thought i would have a go myself , i have downloaded three items needed from microsoft and it will be interesting to give it a try, its just that i was not sure about the placing of the completed objects in FS, i could not find a reference to it anywhere, Thanks for your help, much appreciated . Regards.

Another Abacus product, EZ Scenery, makes it simple to place, rotate and scale your objects by slewing to the location and dropping the object right where you want it.

Hi,It is even simpler than that!In FS9 you save an "flight" centered where you like your 3D object.Then in FSDS3 you import that flight (e.g. the coordinates/heading) with an "import flight button" and then export the 3D object you have made as a BGL (direct from FSDS3 menus) and - voila - the object will appear at the location/heading after Fs9 restart.Of course - if you want - you can export as a MDL and put it into a EZ library and use/reuse it as a EZ Scenery object.Bjorn

Guest dodger

Hi All, Well i think it will be interesting and hopefully another learning curve to add to this hobby of ours , time will tell,and at least its nice to know where i can get help from if i need it. Thanks again, Regards.

Guest Hugo

"Then in FSDS3 you import that flight (e.g. the coordinates/heading) with an "import flight button""Are you shure it also brings up the heading along? I made a fast trial this morning and it seams the object remains true north oriented unless one rotates it properly, taking into account the local magnetic deviation, right at the design level.Hugo

Guest andyjohnston

If all you want to do is add oil rigs, they are a part of the default scenery and so the model already exists (there's one near Corpus Christi that you can check out.)Go download SceneGenX from airportforwindows.com, it allows you to easily access any of the models, then you just place them as you wish.

Guest dodger

Hi , Thanks for that i have found the rig Corpus Christi ok. Cheers Roger.

Hi RogerApologies, I've just come across this thread whilst looking for something else.re: Placing an oilrigIf you're hoping to place Steve's Galaxy III jack-up model as supplied in FSDSv3, AFAIK it will not work, as the model's too big for the compiler, (fortunately, as I'd hate to see 1000,s of these dotted everywhere, there's only 30 or so IRL.).Hope you haven't wasted your money on this basis.As you're in the UKand if you're looking for oilrigs, please see http://www.fs-odg.comWe will eventually be placing all rigs as positioned IRL worldwide.If you have a specific location requirement, please let us know.http://www.basys.f9.co.uk/resources/images..._sig_500x94.jpg