Sign in to follow this  
Gottedammerung

Scenery help - what's this????

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/Phil...th/fsscr261.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/Phil...th/fsscr263.jpgI was flying over Berchtesgaden yesterday after installing the 19m Raimondo mesh, and I saw this. Prior to the new mesh, I had FSGlobal SE mesh, in which the lake is raised up, but the moutains to the side of it are at the same level. I'm not sure, but from my understanding of the Konigsee - the lake you see, both lakes are pretty level.So why is this happening? Is the altitude of the lake wrong, thus streatching the mesh below it to meet it (I didn;t think it wirked like that, though), or is it simply a mesh thing. Funny though that both meshes are probably wrong when it comes to this lake, just to differing degrees.I've also seen something similar around Mt St Hellens in Washington state, again using the FSGlobal mesh.Oh, I also have Ultimate terrain installed, if that affects anything.Here's the same scene using the FSGlobal meshhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/Phil...th/fsscr270.jpgBetter, but still not really acurate.Here's how it looks with Google Earth, which is more my understanding of how the mountains around the lake should look.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/Phil...th/fsscr271.jpgTo me it looks like Raimondo's 19m mesh is right with the sweep down of the valley, but the lake is simply too high and dragging the scenery up to meet it. It should be on the valley floor.

There are two different things here. One is the altitude mesh which defines the mountain elevations.The other is the Water Mask that draws the lake. Water Masks have their own elevation that overrides the altitude mesh, so that is the thing to check.Best regards.Luis

Thanks for that.Now, I don't suppose you could walk me through what I have to edit and how I edit it, or point me to somewhere that can?I'd be eternally grateful.

Hello Philip,I shall take a closer look at this problem tonight and let you know.The process of modifying the lake altitude is fairly simple and will involve importing the bgl with the Water Mask into SBuilder, changing the altitude and then re-compiling.Best regards,Luis

Also recommend a quick sbuilder fix. The problem no doubt is a bug lake flatten in UT Europe. Some one found one in UT USA around KORD, and no doubt there are others. You might want to ask or post a bug report at the UT forum.For this the easiest is to install LWMViewer2 and sbuilder 2.05. Depends on how your level of confidence is with installing utilites. It helps to have a little understanding of the different file types in FS9 and how they work together to form the visual terrain. I suggest LWMViewer2, because you can enter a lat/long and LWMViewer will load all the scenery both default and addon for the area. By selectively turning the "view" of any of the loaded files on and off, you can see which one has the offending lake in it. If it is a UT Eur file, like I think, it will be in the form of HP*.bgl.With the correct filename in hand, you can open sbuilder and append the file to a new project, which will load all the data into sbuilder for display and edit. You need to know the true elevation of the lake. The lake will be defined as 1 or more polygons. You can find it by positin and shape. Then you can select the polygon properties for each of the polygons and change the altitude to the correct value. With that done, you can slelectt he modifed polygons and compile them into a bgl file, which you install (move) in any higher priority scenery area scenery folder. Or I think if yougive your file a name starting with "z", you can put into the UT Eur scenery folder and it should be read and replace the bad UT Eur data. Of course, if I am wrong about UT Eur being the problem you will have to do some more investigation. But LWMViewer2 still is the easiest way to go IMHO.Edit:FWIW, it appears the the default lakes are in file HP951150.BGL and are set to 675.55 m and 640 m.scott s..

Hey, thanks for that. I'm okay with installing utils, and can usually get my head around how to work stuff - if code is involved, it does all tend to go wrong for me, though :).I'll give it a go this evening and see what I can come up with. I'm sure I'll have some more questions for you, then.Again, many thanks.Phil