Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Define areas/lines to fill with non-autogen trees?

Hi all-I've been reading and reading, and looking at different programs. Frankly, it's amazing that there is such variety but also such seeming chaos..Since I haven't been doing scenery, I thought (for sure) I'd find a program in which I could open an existing FS airport, change things around - move / replace buildings, add objects, etc. - but it seems like only a combination of things will do that.I'm considering using EZ-Scenery (which is not mentioned in the top post) and my "main mission" at this beginning point is to add trees around my local airport.However, several of the areas that need trees would require a LOT of clicking ;) and there are several long rows of trees adjacent to fields. I'd love to be able to "ouline" an area visually and fill it with a certain density of trees. (Or cows.. or whatever.)Also, I'd want to draw a single long line (or a series of shorter lines) and use that to place trees along it, ideally with controllable random position and size.Ah, if only I could open an airport in Adobe Illustrator...Anyway, any suggestions greatly appreciated.thxAndrew

Hi Andrew,Probably not the answer you were looking for, but a feature like this is on my wishlist to implement in a tool (probably the ObPlacer XML tool or a new future tool). I agree with you that it would be very useful to placing trees in a certain area (or other scattered objects). But I haven't seen a tool yet that implements this already.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno - I wonder, then, if it hasn't been implemented for some reason, if it's possible to simply create -code- that is generated (XML?) to define boundaries and object type.So, one might only need know how to define a boundary and an object type, and use Excel or something to create a certain number of random objects within those bounds?Or?Not being much of a programmer, I can imagine if it were this easy it would have been done..:)thanksAndrew

Hi Andrew,>So, one might only need know how to define a boundary and an>object type, and use Excel or something to create a certain>number of random objects within those bounds?I am not that good with Excel, but I can imagine that you could create something like that. You can right that you just need to randomly place some points in a certain area (geometry).>Not being much of a programmer, I can imagine if it were this>easy it would have been done..I don't think it is that hard, it is just that my ObPlacer XML tool at the moment has no easy way to let you specify the area. Some sort of map view is needed for that. That is why I have no implemented it, but I can't talk for those other designers of course :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

I just looked at a .bgl generated by EZ-Scenery with just a few objects... I haven't looked at .bgl files before, but apparently, they're total nonsense ;)Just wondering if someone could post an XML file with just a single tree or a few trees, assuming an XML file is easier to decipher?Or, as an alternative, I guess my question would be if there are any file types generated by scenery programs (or by hand) which are understandable?thx!Andrew

Hi Andrew,>I just looked at a .bgl generated by EZ-Scenery with just a>few objects... I haven't looked at .bgl files before, but>apparently, they're total nonsense ;)FS can make something useful of them, so they are not completely nonsense. But being a binary format they are indeed very hard to read for a human without special tools. That is also why almost all scenery is created from some source code (XML, ASM, SCA) and then compiled to the BGL. These sources are much more understandable.The XML file provided is a good example, it shows the placement of a few objects. For more information on the XML format, have a look at the BGLComp SDK by MS.

Arno

Hi Arno - In fact, I downloaded the Scenery SDK as well as a few others...Also, gmax as it may not be "dead" ;) and the BGL compiler, too.I know you can't make areas with it, but it's a start.I've been using 3D programs for a long time so it shouldn't be too bad. My first project will then be some rows of trees of varying lengths, using lots of trees on a single polygon with intersecting short polygons (like stitches on an american football) so the trees have visual mass lengthwise, too.From there, I don't know. But that's what I need, and I may try some low-poly forests/wooded areas after.Cheers!Andrew

AndrewKeep in mind if you are going to use Arno'sMDL_Tweaker for forests/wooded areas that the trees rotate to your veiw.From experience you will need to keeptrees/forests as circular a possible.I would also use double sided textures as I have had a forest that disappeared except when directly overhead.But the results are very good especially using dxt3 with the alpha slightly blured/softened.Tas

The next release of LOM/Scenery Maker can indeed fill a user defined polygon with any objects you like. It can create a mixture of trees for example. You can have multiple tree types and also set a range of scales so that they are not all of the same height. You can control the density also so that the area can be more or less filled. The line tool allows you to create a multi segment line of trees or other objects which can follow a road or other boundary. Position of the objects does not have to be regular and the obejcts can be offset a bit from the line as it may be for a line of bushes or trees. There is also a tool to create joined up fences and another to build bridges from bridge components.I am writing the manuals for this version at the moment but if you would like a copy to try let me know and I can explain how to use those functions very easily. Public release is a week or so away

Guest cwright

>Also, I'd want to draw a single long line (or a series of>shorter lines) and use that to place trees along it, ideally>with controllable random position and size.Andrew, This has been a standard feature of my AutoAsm program for several years, though it's probably been overlooked. You can assign objects to any lines (e.g. roads, shorelines or lines specifically added for objects). You can set a minimum and maximum value for distance from the line and size, and the program chooses randomly within the range. By assigning trees to a closed polygon you could easily fill areas with trees or other objects. Objects have to be api-based. Gerrish Gray's trees are perfect for this. You will need Airport for Windows to create the final bgl files. AutoAsm can automatically call Airport with the scenery files pre-loaded, so the process is quite easy and fast. The latest version of AutoAsm extended this feature to dynamic objects, so you can also add moving objects such as road traffic. http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/autoasm.zip Best regards, Chris