Sign in to follow this  
Guest jimkeir

LWMViewer2 changes due

Guest jimkeir

Hi,I've started tinkering about with LWMViewer2 again, redesigning the terrain displays. In particular, the top-down display is faster and has twice the range that it used to, going up to a (fairly arbitrary) 100,000m high viewpoint.Since I'm playing with the code again, any requests I may have forgotten about?Cheers,Jim

Just a trivial one Jim, the elevation is always displayed as metres even when unchecked in the dialog.George

Great news, Jim, although that space shuttle viewpoint is really out of this world!I have been moving and deleting objects recently, and noticed the following: when trying to move an object, the object picker window comes up quite often over the display even if I do not double-click on the object. Just moving the object a little brings up the other window. If I had a bigger screen, this would probably not be a problem.Also, I am not sure if the delete object button works for me. If I click on it, the object does not turn into a "ghost". Instead, I select it and hit the delete key, then I have to zoom in or out for it to die!Best regards.Luis

Guest Bell206freak

Any chance you could make it work on a PC with an ATi All-in-Wonder 128MB video card and an Athlon XP1500 1.36Ghz processor?I cannot get it to work on my end at all..And Is there a chance we could see faster load times with photoreal scenery files enabled?_Steve

Small problem - Find Airport (CTRL-F) will not find an airport if you enter the state and the ICAO code. Under some "clicking sequence" clicking the Mouse Wheel and then clicking some other button changes the lat/lon to an odd value. I have Lightsource and Landclass activated.I would like an extreme color palette that clearly shows monor roads. I use Lwmviewer2 to adjust my landclass. The higher density street patterns are excellent clues to the location and extents of cities. The USA landclass data seems quite old so some tuning is needed. I use American Data Roads (FSGenesis site) as my roads/streets database. It is an excellent tool but the secondary roads are sometimes hard to spot in small village concentrations.First class tool. Excellent price. Regards,Dick near 5G8

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest jimkeir

Hi,What exactly is an 'All-in-Wonder'? I thought that was a brand name which has been put on just about every ATI card ever made as long as it had a TV encoder. Can you tell me what the 3D chip on the card is? If it's older than a 9800 then it's not going to work, sorry. The processor shouldn't be a problem at all, the program's still compiled to be compatible with Pentium3/compatible CPUs.> Is there a chance we could see faster load times with photoreal> scenery files enabled?I'll take a look, but I'd have to say probably not. It just takes a set amount of time to read them in, convert formats etc. FlightSim takes a while to load them, too :)Cheers,Jim

Guest jimkeir

Hi,I'd not found the 'Find Airport' problem, so I'll check that one out. It shouldn't be too hard to have an editable colour palette for non-textured polygons, good idea.Nice to know you appreciate the value :)I'm trying to work around a problem with what appear to be DirectX bugs right now, so that's the highest priority. The only alternative is to either not support, or double memory requirements for, the NVidia FX5200 cards which I don't really want to do...Cheers,Jim

Jim, I also have the find airport problem and I looked at the data base, and found that many of the state values appear to be wrong. Maybe it is necessary to rebuild the database?Here's an example picked at random:Fowler CO80 0 147 16Dietrichs 3CO7 0 147 16Cable's Corners 22CO 0 147 16Griffin Field 4CO3 0 147 16Syracuse-Hamilton Co Mun 3K3 0 147 490Walker Strip 6KS3 0 147 490Fat Chance 36CO 0 147 16"16" appears to be the proper state Id number, but some of these are set to "490".I can only zoom out so far, after which the window just goes to "white". Zooming back in restores the display.It would be nice to get export bitmap/source back.With textures off, it can be trying to get good color contrast between various VTP/LWM polys and lines.scott s..

Guest christian

Hi JimHow about a function to paint seasons onto the terrain (like landclasses), so people can customize seasonal variations?Cheers,Christian

Guest jimkeir

Hi,I tried the 'Find Airports' thing last night and couldn't duplicate it. However, I was just doing a general search to see if *anything* showed up and not looking for one place in particular, so those values posted for the state may be related. I'll try those out.Nice to see that someone's querying the database directly - I'd hoped that it would end up being used by other software.The disappearing landscape is down to the scale; once it gets beyond a certain point, nothing is drawn. That's the main point of the changes I've been making to the top-down mode to make it much less hardware-intensive.Painting seasons is a good idea, but I'm not entirely sure it would work. Has anyone tried creating season override files? I tried one recently for region data and although it got compiled correctly by resample it seemed to be ignored in the game.Cheers,Jim

Hello Jim,I have made a new seasons.bgl just for the Caribbean. It seems to work fine - no more Fall or Winter foliage.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/148982.zipIt was placed in a local scenery folder with no problem.Perhaps someone else could check to see if it is good.Best regards.Luis

I also have built a replacement seasons file, to provide accurate snow cover for north america. I've been updating it using the snow cover data sets from NOAA beginning in Nov 2005 and extending to May 2006. Of course, without having some sort of selection logic it is only valid for 1 day a month.Here is mine :)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/149000.zipscott s..

Guest christian

Hi Jim,yes, I pioneered this. The trick is to use LOD2 (only). Unfortunately, while it's possible to create LOD5 season files, FS2004 doesn't recognise them. There have been hints at MS that FSX will support LOD5 seasons...Cheers,Christian

Hi Jim,As you know I've only just installed the program, so lemme know if this is already handled, but the aspect ratio seems off on my 1280x1024 monitor.Jon

Guest jimkeir

Hi,The monitor size shouldn't make any difference, there's nothing in there that's sensitive to it as far as I know. Try ticking/unticking the 'Adjust for Latitude' box, this affects the horizontal dimensions. One setting shows everything as square, the other takes into account the ratio of longitude to latitude at the particular location you're viewing. Terrain looks right in square mode, models look right in adjusted mode, which is how everything appears in FS.Cheers,Jim