Sign in to follow this  
cowpatz

BglComp and ILS question

SteveIf you have more than 2 airports listed by the AFCAD program Fs9 uses them all. This is why it is very important that only 2 airports be listed when using AFCAD to list airports.That means there must be 1 ghosted airport and 1 bold type airport.The ghosted airport is the original airport found in the cooresponding APnnnnnnn.bgl and the bold type is the copy of the original that AFCAD makes and places in the addon scenery folder.Now once AFCAD has copied out the original you can make changes to it and save. However, there are certain portions of the original airport that AFCAD does not copy out so it requires both the ghosted and bold type listed airports to make the AFCAD airport work properly in FS9.You should never have more then 2 listed which have all the airport runways/taxiways/freq/lighting/etc.You will however see in some cases an additional bold type airport in the list but this is not a AFCAD airport. If you open it you only see a red dot which is the reference spot for the airport. Some scenery designers will add a airport header in their bgl which is not needed and the AFCAD program picks it up as a complete airport.I can answer your other questions but you need NewBglAnalyze.exe to decompile a APnnnnnn.bgl. From that point on you can only look at the decompiled bgl which is now a xml file.You cannot compile that xml back to a bgl and use it in FS9 because it is corrupt.There is no decompiler available that anyalyzes and gives us everything from the Airport scenery bgl.This is why you CANNOT decompile a APnnnnnnn.bgl, change something and then compile it back and use it.You must write your new ILS approach xml data from a current approach chart as a new file and add it to the scenerygenericscenery folder.@ArnoI fiqured when I posted it would trigger your memory bank. I have seen you post in the past with correct answers for others in those same areas so I knew you would say to yourself "I knew that"When it happens to me I just blame it on my age.

Yes NewBglAnalyze.exe is the answer.I was hoping to make up the ILS at EGPE 05 by mucking around with parts of the VOR approach and substituting with the ILS code where necessary.I seem to come unstuck when run the cooktop xml validation. I know very little about xml code so that is not surprising really. I have attached a copy of the part I am interested in. I take it that this would be put in the scenerygenericscenery folder. Does it need the tag at the start and end?ThanksSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

SteveI took a look at your txt file.I assume you are wanting to change rwy06/24 to 05/23 Correct?If so, do this with your AFCAD first and save.I also noticed that you used BGLX180 to decompile. This decompiler drops some of the ALL the copied approach data goes here 2 new TERMINAL_WAYPOINTS (IAF and FAF for the ILS)and then close withYou must use the

One thing about NewBGLAnalyze is that it can strip out all the waypoints (at least the named ones) to a file which is nice for analyzing missing waypoints for RNAV work.scott s..

Thanks very much for the assistance. I am unable to open the APXXXXX file with either BGLX180 or NewBGLAanalyze.With BGLX180 I get the message "Input file not a valid 2004 facility data file" message and NewBGL "Error this program cannot disemble BGL files of the old type".It is strange because I managed to open the AP file before with NewBGL.What am I doing wrong here.ThanksSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Make sure you are trying to decompile a AP* AT* NV* OB*.bgl type file and not one of the files listed in the same scenery folder. Only those 4 type scenery files are FS2004 xml. The other 10 type files (AB* BR* FL* HL* etc) are old style format bgl's that FS2004 uses.See the pdf document that comes with NewBglAnalyze for more information.

Thanks Jim,No matter how I try I cannot open that AP946110.BGL file. I could before but not now. In fact I cannot open any APxxxxxx.BGL file. I just get those same messages. BGLX180 is the same. Unless I can open them then there is no way I can even think about looking at them both with Cooktop. Mega frustrating. Why could I open it with NewBGLanalyze before and not now? CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Copy the AP946110.bgl into both the BGLX180 folder and the BglAnalyze folder and then run each utility on the bgl.Other than that I don't no why you can't get either one to decompile a default FS9 scenery bgl.The error you are seeing is saying you are trying to decompile a FS2002 type bgl.

I have discovered how to open these files and it might be worth remembering for other dummies like me trying to open them.If you do not use the DOS commands and use the GUI option, like myself, then you need to TYPE or cut and paste in the file location. DO not use the drop down boxes. If not sure of the exact file location then open up AFCAD2 and do a search for the airport and open it. Then select File > properties and it will give the file location. Copy the address and then paste it in the 'file name to find box'. This is what I must have done the first time when it worked but then used the drop down boxes. This needs to be done for both NewBGLAnalyze and BGLX180 otherwise you will get the errors I mentioned earlier in the post.All this after reloading FS9 twice (yawn, yawn) and the applications as well.Now I can see what mess I can make with the code!!!! :)CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

I have dabbled around with the code and inserted an ILS for RWY 05. I have also changed the VOR INBD courses to allign with the updated chart.Will the AI aircraft track the missed approach even though it is from the VOR and not the ILS MAP?Does Altitude1= the missed approach altitude and Altitude2= an altitude between the IAF and FAF? Is Altitude2 for ATC vectoring purposes?I put in an unnamed waypoint for IAF05. As I could not get a published lat and long I used AFCAD and drew marker lines down the runway out to the appropriate distances from the threshold and then read off the Lat/lon. Is this accurate enough?When I ran the xml validation in Cooktop there was an error with the close and start tag but I do not know how to reslove it.It is pretty tricky having so many files open and I learnt the hard way that Cooktop does not save to a temp file but alters the original on the fly!I have attached the text file.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

>Will the AI aircraft track the missed approach >even though it is from the VOR and not the ILS MAP?AI Planes do not fly the xml written missed approach. The xml is for the GPS receiver for the User Aircraft when requesting a published missed approach.>Does Altitude1= the missed approach altitude >and Altitude2= an altitude between the IAF and FAF? >Is Altitude2 for ATC vectoring purposes?Altitude 1 and 2 are not honored in FS9 at this time. There are many element statements required by the BGLComp compiler but not used at this time. Maybe in FSX.>I put in an unnamed waypoint for IAF05. >As I could not get a published lat and >long I used AFCAD and drew marker lines >down the runway out to the appropriate distancesUse slew mode and back the user plane to the location you want the FAF and IAF. Make note of the LAT/LON with the GPS receiver open in MAP mode and use the slew mode value.>When I ran the xml validation in Cooktop there was an errorDo no validate with Cooktop. The BGLCOMP compiler has its own schema it works with. I see many reasons why the compiler will not produce a BGL file. Make sure you place all the element statements properlyExample you are missing this at the end of the last Transistion <-------------- approach closing statementYou are missing this <---------- at the very end. Everything must nest inside the beginning and ending elements FSdataThe only part of the ILS that controls the AI Plane is the main body of the first element statements. Examplealtitude="2700.00F" is the approach altitude ATC will give the AI/User airplane when using the default vectors to the ILS final.missedAltitude="3000.00F"> is the Missed Altitude for both the AI/User plane. The missed appr turn the AI Plane makes is controlled by parts of the heading=49.00 in respect to the runway heading. Most of this is covered in the link I posted earlier in this thread.hope this helps

Thanks Jim,I have tried to compile 2 files. The first was just a cut and paste of the original approach data without the taxiways and lights etc.The second was just putting in the ILS with nothing else.Both failed to compile yet it all seemed in order. What syntax do I need to use with the MS Dos prompt to get BGLComp to stay open so I can view what is wrong? at the moment I just drop the file on top of bglcomp.exe but of course this only gives a quick flash. Files attached for info.ThanksSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Change my folder path and xml file name to yours. The error txt file will be placed in the BGLComp folder.cdcdcdholdfs2004sdkbglbglcomp.exe vhhx_ils_jv.xml > errors.txtexit

I almost wished I never asked. Errors galore! How can that be with simple cut and or cut and paste? I thought that I had been very careful to check all the tags etc. Will be a slow process I think.ThanksSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall