Sign in to follow this  
cowpatz

BglComp and ILS question

Don't be set back by the errors. In some cases one single missing element or space will cause the entire xml to be listed in the error txt.Make sure there is NO SPACE at the very top of the first line in the compiler header. This will produce a error.

Well I finally got the ILS to work at Inverness. It showed up as an available approach and ATC vectored me for it. I started off on a EGPE to EGPF (Glasgow) flight with a diversion to EGPE as I was turning right off Rwy 05. It seemed to confuse the FS9 ATC as I got 3 different headings and altitudes to fly in quick succession. I also got cleared down to 2700ft and then to climb again to 4300ft. I also thought I had been forgotten about downwind but it was just vectoring for a long final...very long (about 30 mls!!!). I also got cleared to land by the tower and then told to contact radar for flight following (I think I may have Keyed an incorrect response to the cleared to land clearance).As I am using the PMDG 747 software the GPS is tracking is not critical but is something I feel I should get up to speed on.I only have the ILS as an available approach at this time as I wanted to keep things simple for the compilation process so that I could see where I was making errors. I guess now I need to stitch in the other approaches and legs. It certainly gives you a buzz to see the fruits of your labour materialize.I do have some basic questions.1. What is GPS overlay?2. What is the difference between a waypoint and Terminal waypoint?3. All the waypoint types, listed at the end of the code, are unnamed waypoints. Why is this and is the value ever "named"?4. I have an ATIS frequency programmed in AFCAD2. I was hoping that this would bring up the ATIS with ATC but it does not. Is it possible to have this feature at any airfield?5. At the beginning and after the airport ident we put in If I am just cahging the approach do I still need to put in the DeleteAirport line? What is the convention here?Many thanks for all your help. It has certainly paid off for me.It would be great to see the information that comes with BGLComp expanded on as it does not give much clue as to how the attribute values syntax should be. CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Most of your questions are answered in more detail in the link I provided above.>>What is GPS overlay?Any approach that is approved for using the GPS which in most cases has a lower minimum approach altitude. (VOR/gps overlay or RNAV/gps overlay etc.)>>What is the difference between a waypoint and Terminal waypoint?Check the Link I explained it there due to complexity>All the waypoint types, listed at the end of the code, are unnamed waypoints. Why is this and is the value ever "named"?Yes there are named waypoints if you can pronounce the name. Example MACEY named, CF005 unnamed.ATIS should work with ATC if the default airport ICAO is coded for ATIS. Some airports are not coded for ATIS and adding the freq will not do anything.>At the beginning and after the airport ident we put in If I am just cahging the approach do I still need to put in the DeleteAirport line? What is the convention here?The reason why I said add this is because we copied all the approach data into a new xml for compiling. We changed the runway numbers in the new XML so we had to tell FS9 not to use the approach data in the default APnnnnnn.bgl.This also keeps FS9 from listing all the approaches twice in the GPS receiver. If we are adding a new approach for a new runway then we could leave all the exsisting approach data in the default APnnnnn.bgl and we would not need this element statement. FS9 would use the original approaches from the default APnnnnnn.bgl and our new stand alone approach in the new compiled bgl. in the end FS9 is smart enough to add what we write for a new approach to the exsisting approaches.Remember this. If you do not need to change anything in the default approaches you don't need this statement.If you have to rename a runway or change a type approach or remove a outdated approach then you must copy all the approach data to the new xml and use the deleteAll statement.

Thanks very much for all your help Jim.I have surprised myself by getting the ILS to work and ATC does acknowledge it and the AI use it. The only thing that had me briefly scratching my head was why when aircraft went around that they had to climb to 9800ft.......anyone would think Inverness was in the Andes!!!!It turns out I left the F out after the 3000.00 so ATC thought it was metres! i have yet to try it with a GPS aircraft as I normally only use an FMC aircraft like the PMDG 747 so it is not a problem. I will check it out though with GPS to make sure all is correct. If it is then maybe I should upload it in case anyone else wishes to use it.Many thanks for your help Jim. It has been much appreciated and in the end has proved fruitful.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall