Sign in to follow this  
GaryGB

ground2k v. 4 (CFS2) Problem

Guest SdC

I'm hoping to contact Christian Fumay through this forum.For a long time now I've been working with ground2k V.4 creating HUGE scenery for cfs2. This app is the ONLY tool available to create VTP1 lines/poly's. I've developed an application myself that converts different source fs9/GIS formats to ground2k v.4 source so it can be compiled to CFS2.There is a bug in the compilation routine for VTP1 lines that causes an error "Error Lon Decoupe 13_8" when ground2k chops up the lines to lod13 chunks. This is not bad in itself if I only lost a single line/line segment, but after getting the error ALL lod13 intersections in almost ALL lines are distorted.... The error occurs on some projects, not always, but impossible to predict. This seems to me to be just a minor bug in the code, and I'd be happy to help fix it, but I don't know how to get in touch with Christian, his email address seems out-of-date.Anyone here knows?My site: http://combatfs.homeip.netMy community: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/

Hi Sander.Christian used Visual Basic to write his program. As a result, there are some memory issues ( and variable allocation issues ). Your large files may be causing some kind of memory corruption. Just a guess.Christian hasn't been active at AVSIM for over a year...not since an incident with another software programmer over an unauthorised version of G2K4. Even before that, he was distancing himself from the forum.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchAutoASM by Chris Wright may also create VTP1 lines an polys from data:http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/autoasm.zipChris might even be willing to share coding information or collaborate in a programming project.Christian Stock also developed an arcgis script that can create vtp2 and lwm lines and polys. If he would share that info, perhaps there could be a programming solution to vpt1 and CFS2's LWM lines and polys.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchI do wish we could have a CFS2 friendly program for vtp1. Edgar Knobloch has a converter for CFS2 LWM asm files... but we never had anything for vtp1. :(For FSX, we've been promised some new terrain tools, so the future may have an "authorised" tool for polys and lines. I'm sure this will not support LWMPoly1 and VTP1, as these are not compatible with FS9.Dick

Guest SdC

Hi Dick,Gee imagine bumping into you here :-lolThis post was really a last-ditch effort to avoid having to reinvent the wheel and do the vtp1 asm coding myself...Autoasm is a very cool tool and has many similarities to my cfs2autocoast, except my main output so far has been cfs2-optimized ground2k format(and recently added scasm for a16n coast/lake flattens). Autoasm unfortunately doesn't do vtp1 either.But, getting back to my original problem that I posted, with a bit more experimentation I discovered that when I break up all the lines to single segments (2 point lines), the offending projects do compile! So I think I can put the vtp1 coding on the back burner for now!

Guest SdC

...and I can understand Christian F.'s frustration with the community for the shared-source abuse, but I do think it's too bad if this caused him to cease all fs efforts.

Hi Sander.That was a good solution for the VTP1 problem!Christian was kind enough to include a VTP1 solution after I nagged him a bit. ;) But it was never the direction he wanted to go.Christian and I drifted out of contact after the last version of Ground2K4. I don't think the source code abuse put him off... he was already an infrequent contributor to the forum. Christian is a great deal like us in that he found no solutions to his terrain problems... so he invented his own tool. He is a wonderful man, and the community owes him much gratitude for his unselfish efforts.SBuilder is probably the best all-round tool for terrain creation, but has no VTP1 support. Luis S

Hi all.I did get word from Christian Fumey.He's well, and quite busy, but plans to make some coding changes for one more version of G2K4 before the release of FSX. And, he's still very interested in flight simming and terrain editing.Dick

Thank you for the news, Dick. It is good to know that Christian is well.Now, if only he could find the time to come down to the Caribbean with his wife for a good time in the tropical sun.Best regards.Luis

Hi Dick:Thanks so much for pursuing this with your reknowned capacity for "getting to the facts"!:-beerchug I feel renewed hope for FS scenery design with a familiar tool now, and I think others probably will also.:-sun1 Now I just can't wait to see what Christian Fumey has done with G2K since the last release!:-hah GaryGB