Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Can someone help me?

Guest drpilot424

I am impressed with the knowledge and expertise displayed by the members of this forum. I am not at that level.My problem,I installed someone's alledged airport upgrade for MGGT (Aroura intl. airport in Guatamala) from one of the forums. It has since been removed, but not before screwing up my airport. The airport now is totally messed up with the AI aircraft parked and taxiing off of the runways as well a the user aircraft. I know there is corruption here of either the AFCAD files or the airport scenery placement files (bgl). I have tried a few things such as deactivating the suspect scenery file and deleting it. I have tried reinstalling the simulator but short of a complete wipe (this is not desireable due to the vast amount of addon stuff I have) is there anything I can do to restore the original configuration of this airport?Thank for any help you guys can give me.--DR

>I installed someone's alledged airport upgrade >for MGGT (Aroura intl. airport in Guatamala) >from one of the forums. It has since been removed, >but not before screwing up my airport.Sometimes just because you remove what is in the addon scenery sub folder or deactivate the scenery does not restore FS9 back to the original airport.You might have to open the MGGT zip file that you loaded previously and see what files it added and if it renamed or deleted any FS9 original files. When planes do not taxi correctly or land on the runways this indicates the AFCAD airport that is in use is the wrong one for the airport scenery.hope this helps

Guest drpilot424

Thanks for the quick reply. What I really need to know is can I restore the original configuration from the install disk or some other source? The offending program is part of a package that makes changes to several airports. I found a bgl file in it's scenery folder labeled MGGT.bglREM. All of the other airport files were normal. I tried removing the REM tag and reactivate the folder but no results. I am expecting bad news here but I am holding out hope.Thanks again for any suggested remedies.--DR

Yes you can copy files from the FS9 CD's but you also must know what files need to be copied.If you can't identify what the addon scenery corrupted then its hard to know what to delete and add back from the cd's.

Guest drpilot424

Again, thanks for the reply.Is there a way to just overwrite that geographical area or just the airport from the disk to the default configuration regardless of other changes? Also, if the offending addon had some kind of exclude am I screwed? I really can't identify exactly what was changed. Now I know to back up before changes, I was foolish back then.The only airport that I know of that is messed up is MGGT.Thanks,--DR

Hello Doug,The relevant files all contain "923250" in them and belong in the Flight Simulator 9SceneryNamcScenery directory.So, you could find those files on the original disks and put them in the right place. You are looking for AB (airport background), AP (airport, containing runways, taxi, aprons, etc.), FL (airport flattens).Didn't know that there was such intricate scenery for Guatemala.Bet regards.Luis

Guest JohnC

Hello Luis...I looked thru my notes and found this partial guide to BGL naming conventions....FL xxxx is the flattenHP xxxx is the meshRd xxxx is the roadsRR xxxx is the railroads??ST xxxx is the river systemsAP xxxx is the airports HL xxxx looks like lakes and ???????PK xxxx ???????UT xxxx ???????AB xxxx airport background.Can you please give me any corrections necessary? I assumed some of this by looking at this through tmfviewer and "guessing" In tmfviewer what does QMID mean and what is it used for?Thanks for your help. I COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING PUBLISHED ON TMFVIEWER.

Well, you have been pretty busy, John.Good work, you seem to have gotten most of them right. The only place I have seen a complete list of these is in Jim Keir's documentation.HP - these are the old hyp files from FS 2002, Hydro Polygons, or in plain English, Water Masks. Even better, they are the wet parts of FS, since at the start, all of world is land (!) and there is only water when defined in an HP file. This water determines lakes, rivers, and coasts. At the coast, the HP prevents land class from displaying beyond the coast and also sets an altitude of 0 meters for the sea level, so that the altitude mesh does not raise the water. AB - airport backgrounds, or the skirting or grass that underlies every airport. This is a polygon that covers the surrounding land class texture and also prevents autogen from displaying in the middle of the runway. When this problem arises, it is often because the AB has been excluded.AP - this is the file that defines runways, taxiways, aprons, approaches, etc. There is an airport altitude reference in here that determines where the ai aircraft will be in relation to the ground.FL - airport flattens, these polygons have the exact same shape and are in the same place as the AB. The altitude of these polygons should be the same as the AP reference altitude, but with a small discrepancy because FL altitude is in 128ths of a meters whereas the AP altitude is in decimal meters.HL - hydro lines, that is, beaches or shorelines (who the heck came up with these labels? Don't they speak English in Redmond?)PK - parks, although often they can be any salient ground polygon, for example a large asphalt surface! RD - roadsRR - railroadsST - streams, not the large and visible rivers that are Water Masks, and therefore in HP, but a VTP line that displays a hard-to-see stream texture.UT - utility lines, those big pylons that carry 12 000 volts and that are a real danger to aviation, although most accidents occur on the wires (not modeled in FS!) This feature also places a grass corridor for the towers.The D.E.M.s (digital elevation model) can be found in the base scenery folder (dem4km.bgl) and also in the world scenery folder (i.e., demaus87.bgl)Good question, John and this should probably be up in the pinned thread at the top of this forum.Best regards.Luis

Guest JohnC

Thanks Luis....great info and I second putting those with the beginnerstuff at the top of the Forum.Wrt those power lines it is always interesting to watch a utility company helicopter ride just above those power lines and have a lineman STEP OUT to fix something on one of those towers. As long as you are not grounded I suppose it's OK but...........