Sign in to follow this  

Flight planning and Fix points.

Guest rlefebvr

I am using FSnav for flight planning.Works great, but I don't understand how I am supposed to find my way using fix points.ex: CYYZ NDB - Fix - NDBStart say CYYZ get NDB waypoint set it to frequency until the arrow starts to move.But what do I do with the fix point. There are no radios to set, no frequency to change and no way of knowing if I am where I am supposed to be.RonCVA1701

The normal way to fly using waypoints in FSNav is to link it to the a/c auto-pilot and let FSNav fly the route.However if you want to fly the route manually you will have to set up bearings to the waypoint.Quite often (but not always) you can find nearby VORs or NDBs. If you drag these to the flight plan window then right click on them and select 'bearing point' FSNav will create a bearing and distance to the waypoint.From those bearings you can then fly manually using the a/c instruments.Hope this helps.

If you get Alain Capt's GPS (or use the default one) it will show bearing to the next waypoint, so fly the bearing. Most fixes are on radials from VOR's at certain distances as measured on the DME. So say fix "A" is 28nm on the 280 radial from a certain VOR. Fly that radial until your DME says "28" and that's the fix. This is how it was done pre-GPS days, though for jets with FMC's and with GPS, there are plenty of fixes that are not on radials.michael