Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Default Buildings

Guest Lufthansa321

Hi,Is there a way to create new buildings in FS (ie. create a terminal) using the default fs buildings?Thanks,Andreas

Can you explain a bit more what you are trying to do?Most objects which exist in the FS world can be placed using a scenery design tool. So you can re-use terminal buildings. (Some are geographically locked so can't be moved unless someone has made them into a separate library of objects. A number of these have been done) A must read before you start is the 'Getting Started' post at the top of this forum. Alternatively if you want to create 'generic buildings' - these are buildings which are created using code rather than objects then there are a number of tools which can help youdo that, OBject Placer XML for example.

Hello Andreas,It is very easy to do what you want. As Jon mentions, these are called "generic buildings", previously known as Advanced Buildings.Microsoft provides a large number of base textures that are used for the default buildings. In addition, they have described the mechanism for creating this kind of building - if you are interested in the technical details, you can find them in the BGLComp SDK.You can use programs like Derek Leung's Flight Simulator Scenery Creator or Tom Hiscox' Airport for Windows and SceneGenX. Also, Arno has his very nice placement tool.The easiest I have found is Jim Keir's LWMViewer 2, because you do not have to struggle to align a background image on which to place the buildings. With LWMViewer 2, you can just load the default FS ground scenery and view it as if you were in FS! Then, just create the buildings and click where you want to place them.This is how it looks in top-down mode:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/150992.jpgYou then call up the Model Picker window and choose the Generic tab, where you can determine the elements of your building:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/150993.jpgTo place the building, point to the location where you want it and right-click to bring up the context menu:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/150994.jpgIt really does not get any easier than this. Please note that you can also move, modify, or delete the default buildings. To move, click to select the building, then drag it to a new location.To modify, double-click to bring up the Model Picker, and make your changes there.To delete, click to select and hit the Delete key.When you are finished with your modifications, you must export a text file (XML) containing the modified objects. Drag this file over BGLComp.exe in order to get your bgl with new buildings.By the way, Jim is releasing a new version in a few days time, so you will see him post that here in this forum.Don't hesitate to ask if you have any doubts.Best regards.Luis

Guest Lufthansa321

Ok. Thanks a bunch for the help. I will try this right away. One question though, will i have to download the extra textures first, or do they come with the program?Thanks,Andreas

Generic Building Textures and textures for default buildings should already be in your Sim

Guest Lufthansa321

Ok, thanks. What folder are they in? FS9/texture?

Guest Lufthansa321

Another thing I found is the program LWM view doesnt work for me because my graphics card is non Shader compatible. Will the update allow non-shader versions?

I doubt it, but Jim would have to answer that one. He is using DirectX 9c and I suspect he needs the shader capability to produce the 3D images he needs. But then You can obviously run DX on older cards so he may :-) As for the textures they can be in the main texture folder but they can also be in other texture folders as well. Special 'defualt' buildings will have their own textures and I expect they would be in the appropriate texture sub folder for the scenery area using them.

Sure, Andreas, happy to be of help. What do you need to know?Once LWMViewer 2 is launched, go to the File menu and choose "Open by Coords" to get the region you want, or just load any terrain file for your area and then right-click on the screen and choose "Files for this Area". This will give you a list of all relevant blgs - to activate any of them, double-click in the "Loaded" column for each.Anything else?Best regards.Luis

Unfortunately it seems his graphics card does not support Shader 2 so he can't run LWMViewer 2, Luis

Yes. The following XML code will introduce a defautlt building.The tricky part is the name. I downloaded an XLS file called MyObject.xls (sorry can't remember the download file name - maybe someone can help?) This file describes the objects and shows a jpg of them, and also gives the name.Note that you can scale the objects to give some variety.

Guest Lufthansa321

ok...thanks, what about different textures for the buildings?Also, on the LWM issue, my computer does run the 1.4b version, and I figured out how to create a .raw file for waterclass, what do I need to compile it? thanks. Also, I'm looking into buying a video card so i can support this program, and it is Shader v3 compatible. Will that work for LWMv2?Another thing, I tried to network FS9 so i can access lwm on a computer that is lwm 2 compatible, but whenever I type in coords and click ok close all existing files, it comes up woth the message "...has encountered an error and will now close" why is this?

I see what you mean, Andreas. It was not clear in your private message.Version 1.4 beta is LWMViewer, the first version.I meant the later version 2, LWMViewer 2. You cannot view FS scenery the same way, nor create generic buildings with the earlier version.Please search this forum for a thread where Jim released LWMVersion 2 and try that on your other computer.To compile the raw file for water class, you will need an "inf" file and the Microsoft Resample program that is in the Terrain S.D.K.As for the error, do not close existing files and see what happens.Best regards.Luis

Guest Lufthansa321

ok...thanks for the advice! I'm not sure If I should ask you or not, but I did that, put it into an active FS scenery folder for that airport area, and went to FS and nothing showed up. What could be the problem with that?Thanks,Andreas

We are all very happy to help, Andreas, so if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.It is difficult to say what is wrong with the land class file. The most common problems is probably coordinate errors - it happens to me all the time!Perhaps you could take a look at the land class file within LWMViewer and see if there is anything there or if it is in the right place.Please note that in version 1.4b of LWMViewer, land class will not display unless you have loaded something beneath it, such as altitude mesh.Otherwise, you can always post the inf file here and see if anyone can spot a mistake.Best regards.Luis