Sign in to follow this  
Guest nick46

Question on AFCAD2 and scenery folders

Guest nick46

I have a question concerning AF2 files and scenery folders.I have made 3 AF2_xxx.bgl files, two covering airports in Greece and one covering 29S airport in Montana, USA.To see my changes properly, I had to put them in AddonSceneryGreece (example) (folder) scenery and texture folders (which I made) and add them through the Scenery Library add area function. I had added aprons and changed the lights and runway markings in all those files using AFCAD2. Before I did that setup (above), I had tried saving the afacad 2 bgl file in FS9SceneryWorldscenery, but in this case the aprons showed byt not the runway markings, so I changed to what I described above.Two questions: 1. Can I add all three AF2_xxx.bgl files into one unique folder in:e.g. :AddonSceneryName of folder XXX scenery and texture folders and then activate through adding in Scenery Library all three?2.Why is it that placing the AF2_xxx.bgl file in FS9SceneryWorldscenery does not work? Is there another address in FS9 which will work apart the Addon Scenery folder?Any help will be appreciated.:(

You must put them in _some_ active scenery area scenery folder. The default airports reside in a series of regional scenery areas which are given priority 3-12. Note that AFCAD assumes the presence of the default airport, and only makes changes as necessary, leaving other elements of the default airport intact. Thus for AFCAD scenery to work, the file must be in a higher piority active scenery area. Since sceneryworld scenery area is priority 1, the lowest, placing the file here won't work.Scenery areas 13-34 are used for city-level default photo terrain. While you could put your file here, it isn't recommended. Scenery areas 35-37 are for generic scenery. In particular, 35 scenerygeneric is a possibility. Scenery area 38 is the highest default scenery area and is sceneryaddon scenery which is created but empty by default. Hence just placing AFCADs here will work without having to create and activate a new scenery area. Any additional scenery areas would normally be prioritized as 39 and above as desired by the user.scott s..

Guest nick46

Many thanks Scott.That is enlightening things. So, if I understand things correctly, I am to place my afcads in Scenerygeneric.Now, for the same airports modded by my afcads, I have made some Traffic_XXX.bgl's to have AI Traffic of my making showing.TTools had placed those in FS9SceneryWorldscenery. Can I leave them there or can I also place them in[#1] Scenerygeneric through cut paste so that they do not stay in Worldscenery also?#2:To experiment and see for myself, yesterday I removed all from wherever they were and placed all my Greece afcad2's and some Traffic__XXX. bgls for the same airports in FS9Addon SceneryMY GREEK SCENScenery ( Had also made a Texture folder--empty one) within my GREEK SCEN folder). This I activated and things seem to be showing okay--both the afcad new mods and the AI Traffic shows, as far as I have checked today.Now it seems I can choose between #1 and #2. What do you advise?Thanks again.Nick

1. I would say 99% of users place all the AFCAD-built sceneries (typically named AF2_AirportICAO.bgl) into Addon scenery (actually, like all bgl files it must go into the scenery subfolder). I think the main reason for this is that having multiple AF2 files for the same airport can cause problems, so putting them in the same place makes for easier management, though AFCAD and also other tools can find and show you multiple AF2 files no matter where they were installed). 2. There is one designer, Jim Vile, who has found occasions where it is better to place the AF2 file into scenerygeneric. This mainly has to do with runway approaches (not affected by the AFCAD tool, but can be modified manually) but might also have some other benefits.3. As long as your MY GREEK SCEN is active in the scenery library (assuming you do not manually move it lower in priority than the regional sceneryeure area) it will work.4. I have never tried putting traffic files into other than sceneryworld. AFAIK, all traffic files are additive. It seems like it should work, but I just haven't tried.Maybe someone else has ideas on the traffic files, or you might search in the project-ai forums. They seem to have the most discussion on AFCAD designs and traffic.scott s..

Guest nick46

Thanks again. Scott.Seems that now I get the overall picture. Meanwhile, I have made a new afcad2 and it works just fine in Addon Sceneryscenery, and the AI Traffic file for the airport I made also works fine, and it is in WorldScenery.That airport in question is LCRA Akrotiri AB in Cyprus and I have filled it with Kazunori to Lightnings of various RAF sqns and other RAF aircraft, and a Wyvern and Gannet from the Royal Navy FAA also.Some I made static with WEEKLY flight plans, others do TNG's, and some fly back and forth to nearby Paphos LCPH and Herakleion in Crete LGIR. And I tested my flight plan and took off from Akrotiri and landed in Paphos and waited for another Lightning to come from Akrotiri and land and it came on time, while some Lightnings started off on their return trip to Akrotiri from Paphos. By the way, these two Cyrpus fields are perfect for practice and testing of all types of things, new planes, afcads, etc, as they are about 36 nm apart in a straight line by the beach, but you must change the Pafos field LCPH through afcad2 as it always gives you "go around" messages through ATC. I have changed both, and have even made a 2nd runway for Akrotiri to uncrowd my RAF traffic, and it works smoothly now.The attached screenshot is from Akrotiri-- my plane is the one with the blue fin of the LTF (Lightning Training Flight), and the others are the "static-through-weekly-flt.plan" Lightning F.1A's of 74 Tiger squadron, one of which started engines 3 minutes later and took off for Paphos. Having fun with these.BTW, MS mis-spells PAPHOS as PAFOS. I am Greek, and also a literature professor, and the correct is with PH, not with F.Paphos was an ancient Greek city of distinction, and some myth gods had dealings there, and Aphrodite (Venus), Goddess of Love, is said to have been born in its shore.See my poem here:http://forum.poetryconnection.net/viewtopi...1794&highlight=Thanks again for your informative answer.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/151547.jpg