After a day's worth of frustration I finally managed to get RWY12 to place a static plane for me.....but it has no colour!! When I look at it's texture file with windows explorer in thumbnail view I find that a it and quite a few others are blank (just a drawing of a paintbrush). If those blank ones are opened with "paint" it says drawing failed. Does this mean that they are corrupt? Is that why my static plane has no colour?

No it does not necessarily mean they are corrupt. Most textures for FS9 are in a compressed format called DXT1 and Paint cant read them, neither would I expect Explorer to read them but I don't use it myself. You need a program like DXTBMP from Martin Wright.Do you know what textures are used by your static plane? and are you sure they are in the RWY12 Static Object Library texture sub folder?Missing textures would certainly be the first reason to suspect if you have a 'grey' or partly grey object.If you tell me which object you are trying to place (and which library it comes from) I can tell you which texture(s) it uses

It uses sk_c172sp_white-orange_4x-chu.bmp and for night texture is uses sk_c172sp_white-orange_4x-chu_lm.bmp. They should be located in your ..addon scenerystatic objects librarytexture folder.If they are not there then you need to put them in from the original RWY12 distribution package. If they are then you have a different sort of problem.If you want to know what textures are used by an object then you might like to take a look at my utility called Library Object Manager which can be downloaded from my site or AVSIM. It also has a Scenery Placement function similar to RWY12.

Well, those 2 files are in the texture folder but the plane is not coloured!!