Sign in to follow this  
scruffyduck

Question: How can I move an addon ship to a location of my choice?

Guest nick46

I would like to move one or two of the many aircraft carriers I have installed in ADDon Scenery to a new location of my choice.Can anyone tell me what I need to do, what tools, and in what order?Any help will be appreciated.

You might need to give us a bit more information. Are these objects part of a third party package for example?Moving objects which are part of third party addon scenery is not generally seen as a good thing to do. This would involve getting into someone elses scenery bgl file and changing the information in it about the location of the object. This can, of course, be done but you would certainly be infringing the designers rights unless they specifically allowed it.The normal process would be to remove them at their current position using a tool which can create exclusion rectangles. Then place the object in a new location using an object placement tool.Removing them in their current locations might not be that difficult - exclusion programs such as EXCBuilder can stop most objects from showing up. It would depend on how the object were created - some can be stubborn!Placing them in another location means that you need access to the original object library file (another sort of bgl file) which presumably you would have since you have the scenery). The first and possibly the most difficult thing would be to identify which library. Again you might be infringing the designers rights if you open up a library to find what is in it. A tool such as Library Object Manager can find out what objects are in a library.If you are doing this just for yourself then, providing you can identify the library file, you could use one of the object placement tools such as Object Placer XML or SBuilder or my own Library Object Manager to place the object where you wanted it. If you were planning to release the scenery in any way then you would need to check that the author of the objects would allow their placement outside of their scenery.I don't know if that helps - perhaps you can give us a few more details about the source of the objects etc.

Guest nick46

Jon:Here are the details:1.The carrier can be one of the many given in Carriers2004a.zip by Rich Hogen ("fs2004 18 Carriers Scenery 18 landable carriers acrossthe world, Beautiful scenery. All carriers with navaids.Textures included. By Rich Hogen.Compiled for fs2004 by Alejandro Villa" --says the blurb...)Or it can be the Waikato carrier, waikato1.zip.I suppose that is 3rd-party scenery.2.I want to move the carrier only in my own PC, and do not intend to upload it, and will get the designers' okay through email, if necessary.I do suppose that if one does it only for his own machine, that would not be needed. I have, for example, over 60 repaints I made myself of various aircraft in my FS9 and CFS2, and have never asked for any permissions as they are strictly for my own PC.(And no one would want them anyway, as they are fictional skins turning all types of a/c into Royla Navy FAA or RAF aircraft--who would want an Airbus in FAA colors but crazy me!!??? Or the stock Beech Baron 58 in 16 different RAF liveries...)?Hope this helps...

In that case you should be fine.Step one would be to use a tool such as EXCBuilder2 and see if you can remove the object from it's existing location. If you can hide it with an exclude then you are half way there.Second you will need to find the scenery library bgl that the object is in. That can be quite difficult to do. A tool such as MDL Tweaker II from Arno Gerretsen can read a bgl library file and display a 3D image of each object. It is still in beta and therefore may be buggy but it can do the job. After you have found the object then you will need an object placement program to place it where you want it. You need to know the GUID number of the object for this which MDL Tweaker should be able to give you.An alternative is my own program Library Object Manager. Here you can import information about all the objects in a library and then place them in a row in FS so you can take a look at them. There is a 3D object Viewer in development for LOM but it is still in Alpha testing. Find the one you want you can use LOM to place it at a location of your choice. LOM can do both halves of the job - help you find the object and then place it as you want.HTH

Guest nick46

Thanks Jon.Your help is much appreciated. Will try and get back to you if I stumble anywhere.Many thanks again.