Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Unwanted runway signs?

I am doing a small airport with two grass runways. Runway ID signs more typical of large airports spoil the flavor. I have searched AFCAD for a way to exclude these. I've created exclude boxes using SceneGenX. Nothing seems to help.How do I eliminate these?Thanks

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Try another exclusion program, such as ExcBuilderV2 here at the Avsim file library. One trait with this program is the your heading must be at 360deg. So if you're in slew mode just hit the space bar to get headed magnetically adjusted due north.I've used this little program a few times to make an exclusion, after attempting to do the same for objects in SBuilder.

I installed ExcBuilderV2 and then downloaded FSConnect300 and installed it. I've been careful to use the spacebar when in slew to position the aircraft. ExcBuilder reads the FS position correctly and creates the bgl file. Signs are still there. Suggestions?

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Re-reading this again, as I guess it's helps to understand the question.You're not referring to taxiways signs, but the numbers on the runways themselves? If so, my understanding is that these cannot be removed or excluded in the usual sense.If that's what you're attempting, then my thoughts are to build the runways in a scenery design tool. More skilled designers would have to give the how's and wherefor's.

If you are refering to the Runway Numbers and you want to remove those numbers then1) Open the Airport with the AFCAD program.2) Double Click on the Runway you want to remove the numbers.3) Select the "Markings" tab at the top of the Runway Properties screen.4) Un-check the Designation Numbers block. If you are using Grass as the runway texture you might also want to uncheck many of the other blocks in this same area.

Yes, I am referring to the boxes at the edge of taxiways with taxiway or runway references. Physical above ground signage. Darn things won't go away!

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Only thing that pops into my feeble, wannabee designer mind is are you trying to exclude invidual signs or are you doing one great big exclusion for the whole field?IIRC, when I was working on an airport that I relocated I did a large exclusion for the whole field, which got rid of all. I've seen ention something about a "triggering" sign that affects all. So I'm just wondering if doing invidual exclusions has some effect?

I'll try and change the exclude file. I've been creating an exclude file that concentrates on a group of signs towards one end of the airport. Like you say maybe a trigger sign elsewhere will make it all work.Thanks,

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Bingo! The group of signs I was trying to exclude were at one end of the airport. When I expanded the exclude box to include the only other two signs on the field, they all went away. Thanks for the help.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

I find it better to exclude all the signs and use the SGX file to put them back in place, or in moved positions. It seems like maybe you need to include the airport reference point as well as signs to exclude, but it doesn't seem like that is all there is to it.scott s..