How does one combine two objects. For eg. I have two polygons one 0.5m in depth and another 0.7m in depth. How to merge them together so that the thicker one shows on top of the slimmer one?ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Shez, you can use "align", one of the buttons on the top of the standard gui screen. You select one poly, click align, select the other, and fill in the boxes...in this case sounds like x and y would be center to center. Then do it again, with z at max to min. (I've never found a way to do this in one operation.That's for position, you used the word "combine"...makes me wonder if you want the result to be seen as one part. If so, you can use attach with one selected. If you want to optimize, and the objects are the same dims, then you would weld the co-located vertices.Bob Bernstein

Thanks Bob, what I am really looking for is to do a ground polygon with one polygon on top of another. Because the polygons are very thin height-wise the lower tends to show through the upper. For eg. if we had two planes one on top of the other, how would you 'paste/attach' one on top of the other so the lower one does not show through at all?Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Shez...I misunderstood. It seemed you were referring to the "polygons" as thou they had thickness. Made me think you were just using the term loosely.The idea of one plane showing thru another has nothing to do with thickness. Its drawing order. You can adjust this if you use the fs2002 export, save the asm...tweak it by removing shadowcall, change "addobj", to "addcat, X" in which X is a layer assignment. Do this for both poly, and you will establish dominance of drawing order.Best,Bob

Thanks Bob, I guess this cannot be done in the FS2004 export version?But is there no way within GMAX of merging the objects one on top of the other so that the bottom one loses its attributes?Shez

Shez Ansari

Hi Shez,>Thanks Bob, I guess this cannot be done in the FS2004 export>version?No, that tweak only works if you use the old gamepack. The new MDL format of the Fs2004 gamepack is not really suitable for ground polygons anyway, so you can better use the old gamepack for ground polygons.>But is there no way within GMAX of merging the objects one on>top of the other so that the bottom one loses its attributes?I don't really understand what you mean here I am afraid.If you have for example a logo polygon that you want to place on a hangar you could give that logo polygon a zbias. This will give it priority when drawing and prevent the flickering. But this approach does not work correctly for ground polygons.Another option would be to cut the object on top out of the one below. That way you will never have two polygons on top of each other, but the downside of this is a slightly increased vertex count. Sometimes this approach might be the easiest way. The boolean tool would be what you use to achieve this.But once again for ground polygons this is no option, as you really need to use the Fs2002 gamepack to let them behave like real ground polygons (with correct shadows casted on them, etc).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks Arno, Bob,I guess I will export with the FS2002 version.RegardsShez

Shez Ansari

Hi Shez...been at work...the idea of merging the polygons in gmax prior to export would work fine, but you'd still want to export using the fs2002 gamepack imo. You could use shapemerge or boolean. Bob