Sign in to follow this  
Guest fiddleman

Is there a way to 'quick save' a GPS location?

Guest lionheart777

Hey guys,Just curious. If I were doing a large (large) amount of GPS locations for a project for scenery placement, is there a way then in which one could 'snap' the coordinates to a TXT file or something?Sure would save about an hour or more of jotting down coordinates on paper, then re-placing them into XML files. If they went into a TXT file, then once could copy/paste coordinates over.Bill

Hi Bill,I have never seen a tool that can save them to a TXT file, but why not use an object placement tool like Rwy12 or ObPlacer XML? These allow you to read the coordinates from FS using FSUIPC directly into the XML file.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Horst

Hello,you can import mp files in Sbuilder from Luis Sa.When you have a list of POIs in shp you can convert them via mapedit to mp and import them to Sbuilder.Mp is a text file.Kind regardsHorst

Guest jeandarc

I have a similar problem, if not worse:P. I use Google Earth to manually find the co-ordinates of points at an airport (Since there is no other possibility for that specific Airport - VVNB. It aint accurate, but it is precise:). Then i manually put it into Excel and then to AFCAD. It is painful, since i got hundreds of such points.So far, i found no alternative - although I guess you might create a snapshot of the airport overlay, put it into some 3rd party geographical program and then it might create that list for you. Doubt it exists though...:(

Guest lionheart777

I wonder if there is a programmer out there that could easily tackle this and come up with a smart little GPS TXT snapshot program? Perhaps its not impossible to have something like this created...

BillCan you explain a bit more exactly what you are after? What is the input? Do you want to move your plane around and collect a list of positional data and put it in a text file? or is it something entirely else? :-)

Hi Bill,As Jon asks, what input data are you trying to use? Are we talking about real GPS points here or FS generated GPS points?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest JohnC

Arno?....Where could I get OBPlacer?

Guest lionheart777

Hey Arno and Jon,Jon, yes, collecting a large group of GPS targets while in a plane in slew mode. The GPS locations are the main need. Heading and alt would be pretty much optional.If a person were doing a village with a large amount of homes, fountains, cars, etc, this would enable a person to locate tons of location targets swiftly.(The real reason 'could' be that I cant read my own handwriting). ;)

OK - that is actually very easy to do provided you have FSUIPC or similar installed. The question would be, as suggested above, why not use a tool like RWY12, Object Placer or Scenery Maker which can place the objects directly in the scenery using the aircraft position? All of these tools actually create a list of locations including lat, lon alt and heading and attach a scenery object to the positional data so that it can be compiled. These tools will place FS9 objects only so if you wanted to do this for mixed FS9 and API objects then something like SBuilder will do it.Having said all that if you would like such a tool to create a list of coordinates then I can knock one out for you :-)

Guest lionheart777

Hey John,I actually use my own scenery objects and dont have the time to create all the needed details for placing them into Rwy12 system. For instance, to give you an idea of the amount of object placing, I just did 6 villages for the mountains of Western Bolivia, with each being custom layed out little villages having certain architectures, some hangers, car scenery, all the trees, etc.I am now working on a San Diego of tomorrow, circa year of 2016, and doing moderate building placement. I am considering doing small houses of tomorrow as well with this and also extending 'some' of the scenery into Boston, Mass.Having such a tool would be brilliant for things like tree placement on top of scenery bitmaps, doing locations of rows of houses and townhouses, etc.If you could do such a tool, perhaps I could barter with you on a trade? We could keep the tool freeware for others to use.Kind regards,Bill

Hi BillNo problem - let me have a play around - I use Visual Studio and C# so you will need to have the dotNET Framework 2 installed and do you have a registered copy of FSUIPC? I can get a key from Pete but it makes testing easier if you have a registered copy.Drop me an email jon -AT- scruffyduck.co.uk and we can take this offline the forum

Guest lionheart777

Hey Jon,That is one brilliant tutorial you did for running Library Object Viewer. Very impressive work there. (Getting started with LOV download).By chance, did you create it with Microsoft Power Point?Something like that for showing people how aircraft work on interior animations would be brilliant, but I dont know if you can do that 'in' a sim as its a 3D environment. But man.. Excellent work.Bill