Sign in to follow this  
scruffyduck

What is the equasion for calculating alt. scenery placement?

Guest lionheart777

Hey guys,I am trying to place a few lights at Alt. However, when I place them in scenery, they show up about 1,500 feet above where the 'should' be.For instance, I tried 7 feet with AGL set at false. The airport is at 712 feet alt. So I place the object at about 719 feet and it appears at 2,200 feet roughly. Could there be something I am missing? I know that if they are using Meters for Alt., it still wouldnt cause the FX to show at that alt.Many thanks for any input.Bill

>I know that if they are using Meters>for Alt., it still wouldnt cause the FX to show at that alt.>it wouldn't? 719 meters is 2359 feet, which is close enough to suspect that this is your problem.Visit the Windowlight forum on Avsim... everything you need to know about New Zealand flightsim sceneryhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...forum=203&page=

Guest lionheart777

Ahhhhh........lololol... My oops.Domo arrigatto, gozi-mas;)

Actually Bill there are lots of different measurement units used in FS and more than one or two are in meters. As mentioned above if you put F after the number in your xml then it should show up at the correct height.

Guest lionheart777

Thanks Jon,I was wondering where that letter would go.Awesome stuff. I have never had to deal with setting things at altitude 'precisely' and wondered why they wouldnt appear where I put them originally.Cheers, Bill

Well you can get down to some pretty precise measurements - in Scenery Maker I can place objects to within about 4 inches (100mm) or better. The actual accuracy of FS data is pretty astounding.