Sign in to follow this  
Guest lionheart777

Can you set Visibility distance in the XML before compiling to BGL?

Guest lionheart777

Hey guys,Is it possible to activate or set a visibility distance for a scenery object in the XML before compiling to BGL?If so, how might the entry look in the XML if I may ask.Many thanks,Bill

Wondering if I'll be embarrased for trying to answer, but...The XML code I've seen and worked with will allow you to set display based upon a user's setting, ie, Dense, Very Dense, so on.The visibility setting would be set in the MDL file, such as AI aircraft and their multiple LODs. Sucj would apply to MDL files for buildings and the sort.Now I'll wonder if I'm correct or if I can blame it on the heat?

That is correct, you can not set a distance in the XML code. If you want to limit the distance of your object, you need to create LODs in the MDL object. A very simple sort of LOD is of course to just add a distance check to the MDL file (sort of empty LOD switching). But for complex objects it is probably better to make simpler versions of the model for the LODs as well.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest lionheart777

Thanks guys.I had never been one for LOD's, but I am making alot of scenery bits for a city and thought it might be wise to have them shut down until one is at a close distance. Guess its time to read the SDK for LOD creation. ;)Cheers,Bill