Sign in to follow this  
ftwd

KTEX runway 27 and AI aircraft help.

Is there anyone out there who can help me with KTEX Telluride and the AI aircraft approaches.I believe (correct me please if I'm wrong) that for an airport like KTEX that the AI aircraft will tend to use the runway selected from the direction that they are arriving from. This means that if an aircraft is flying fron KDEN-KTEX that the AI will sellect RW27. The problem is that with the high mountain range to the east of Telluride, the aircraft seem to approach at a very high alt then go around, then app' high, then go around.....x(Is it possible to programe an arrival for RW27? Something like an approach to 09 then a circle to land, set up as a circuit? Am I getting in way to deep here???I have tried closing RW27 in AFCAD_2 but with only the one RW available FS9 just ignores it. I have also looked at the cfg file of the Beech 1900 I'm trying to get in there to check on it's rate of decent but that seems fine at 1800fpm.Are there any other suggestions that people my have for using KTEX and AI traffic.Cheers,Nathan. :-wave

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have never looked at KTEX but yes you can write a XML approach for RWY 27 that will work different then the default approach. It sounds like the high terrain is interfering with the straightin approach causing the go arounds.FS9 uses the terrain as a measurement minium altitude for the AI Planes. This is normally not a problem until the AI comes across the top of high terrain and then can't desend quick enough to land. Those values are not in the cfg file but are coded as per the XML Approach data.There are higher approaches that can be written with a increase in the glide slope degree but they require placing a new IAF and FAF further away from the threshold.MS also coded circle to land and curved IGS/LDA type approaches at some airports such as PHNL and KDCA and those also can be written in XML for your RWY 27. You cannot close just one end of a single runway in FS9 by using the AFCAD program. You can make a runway oneway by closing both takeoff and landing of the same runway end and then remove the Start Location of that runway.If you are intersted in writting different type approaches for both the User Airplane GPS receiver and AI I recommend going to the PAI AFCAD Forum where I have participated in a post on this subject.

Thanks for your reply Jim,I thought that I must be getting in over my head here, but I'm determined to get it to work. Will check out the PAI forum and see if I can give it a go.Cheers,Nathan

Woah, this stuff is hard.Do you know of any tutorials that I can get to help me along the way. Would love to get KTEX working just right, can't have all of those rock and movie stars that live there crashing into mountains. :+Cheers,Nathan.

There is no precise tutorial other then the BGLcomp SDK which is very skeptical in its definitions.Each element tag of data differs somewhat based on what type legType is used.I have posted on the PAI-AFCAD forum key pieces of info from the ARINC document that is from the freeware version to help in understanding what type leg must be used when writting the approach.You first have to study the approach chart for the runway you want the approach for and then write the XML to coincide with the chart.You can do a search in the file library on Matthew Ministry here at AVSIM. He did some approaches for different airports (KDCA, etc) and added a readme that explains some of the proper coding.Jan Martin just finished a high altitude approach that he also listed on the PAI-AFCAD form that might help.I have been working on a tutorial but have not posted it anywhere yet.

Thanks so much Jim, I'll get stuck into some "lite" reading. Will keep you posted,Cheers,Nathan