Sign in to follow this  
Guest sb55mv

AFCAD2 Adding TaxiWays.

Guest sb55mv

Hi Gang,I have read through the help section, but, unless I have gone word blind, then I just can't find it.I am trying to add taxiway designators / taxiway details for some of the airports that I have modified using AF2.here is what I have done,I opened up a stock airport from FS9 such as EGOS (Shawbury) and I have altered the approach lights, ground taxi lighting and runway overshoot area etc, but I wanted to give the taxiways that are at the moment set as "blank" a designation such as Alpha and delta etc, but I can't seem to do this, all that shows up in the drop down box is a runway designator choice,can anyone please tell me how to do this.Many thanks,

Hello Steve,This can be confusing and is not particularly intuitive.From the AFCAD readme:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/153333.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/153334.jpgSo, you must type in the new name in that box, then press Enter. Make sure that a taxiway is not selected at that moment, or else you will be giving it that new name. Unless you want to do that, of course.By the way, you probably want to avoid creating names like "A North". because ATC will give this as "Alpha November Oscar Romeo Tango Hotel". So, it is best to just name it "A N" for taxiway A North, and so on.Best regards.Luis

Guest sb55mv

Hi Luis,I have it now, and as you mentioned, it is somewhat peculiar as to how it describes it in the manual / help file.but I am now adding taxiways all over the place :-)Thanks again Luis,PS all I have to do now is find something that is NOT complicated to be able to add some Taxiway Signs, this is my next goal, and something that I would love to be able to do for myself, if you hear of anything like this please let me know.I am not going to start designing my own scenery's, but would like to up-date and add them to the default airports which are somewhat bland and bare,

It's not difficult to create taxiway signs. Download the MS BGLComp SDK and it explains how to do it. Here is an example:<?xml version="1.0"?> justification="LEFT"/> Note. (ampersand) is the & character.George

Do that for 50 or 60 and tell me how easy it is!! Especially proper placement. Very hard to do (at least me) using a visual scenery editor. I have to keep looking in-game to see if they seem in the proper position. My biggest problem is how far off centerline to place them.scott s..

Guest sb55mv

Hi Scott,what program do you use, a link to the site would be great.is it very complex to get used to etc,Thanks again.

There is a utility here at the AVSIM library that adds the sign for you. Search for creatsign_n.zip by Vladimir Svoboda.

Guest sb55mv

Hi Jim,Thanks for the file details,I just downloaded it, and read the PDF file, but, I hate to sound stupid, but the thing might as well be in Swahili as far as I'm concerned.I know nothing at all about XML, and it just daunts me.there must be a simpler way of doing this, after all it's just object placing, nothing animated etc.if anyone can offer any advice on this I would be most grateful.I would like to add the signs myself, but the thought of going through full XML programming is really putting me off.Thanks again.PS, this is where things like MSN meetings used to be great for a bunch of us, if someone wanted to know how to do something, or was having difficulties getting their head round something, then one of us that knew how to do it would talk to them on MSN voice, and help them. it's a lot easier to get to know how to do something that way.the other side of that coin is that one day you will be able to help them in a similar situation with something that they are struggling with.is anyone willing to do this with me so that I can get to know how this done!Thanks again.

Give Sbuilder a try. Search for sb205.zip here in the AvSim file libraries. Sbuilder does require registration, but it is free. It's easy to do taxiway signs with it. You use FSUIPC for location, slew to the location, then rotate the sign to the orientation you want. The type of sign is picked by clicking on a graphic, then you enter the text.The way I've been doing it is to run FS9 minimized with AFCAD running and Sbuilder running. That way I can see which taxiway I'm working on and with AFCAD, get it's properties.

Guest sb55mv

Hi Gang,is anyone prepared to go on voice with me via MSN to get me started using SGX please,it does look like a good program, but even after reading the files/manual/read me etc, it still seems a bit confusing, and I'm sure we have all been there haven't we!all I need is someone to help me get started, I'm not expecting a baby sitter, just a little bit of help in getting started.Many thanks.