Sign in to follow this  
Peter Z KCLE_EDDN

A big "thank you" to the Avsim community!! (long)

Hi there,I just wanted to share probably the most exiting time of my life with this community, which I consider a big part of my decision making in the last 15 months.Yesterday I signed up with Comair Aviation Academy in Sanford, FL (KSFB) after finally having the guts to making the career change from financing to becoming a commercial pilot.Fortunately my wonderful wife gave me green light (after a "short" 15 month discussion ;-)) and I did it. In the last 3 months I started my PPL training, quit smoking (that is still a tough one for me though) and did some thorough research as to what program would be a good fit for me.It turned out that Comair just seemed to offer the most of many programs out there and they really made me feel as if they "wanted my business". Comair eventually invited me and my wife for a tour and an interview at their facilities in Sanford, FL. Comair provided the tickets, first class (on standby though) and we only had to pay for the hotel. I had done my homework (application, financing, first class medical etc.) to make sure that if the interview went well I

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

I would like to say sincerly, congratulations on your new career.I do admire families that can come together on a very tough decision like this one. In most cases it requires many sacrifices to say the least. I also changed careers about 10 years ago. I was 40 at the time and had many obligations. It was a tough road financially and emotionally but the career change was certainly the right decision.I wish you happiness. This must be an exciting and maybe a little scary. It sounds like you and your wife have a great relationship.You will be there before you know itRegardsBobG

Absolutely stupendous! What a lucky man you are; first in having the good fortune to find a path you can feel passionate about and the courage to walk it, but also double blessed that you have a partner willing to share and invest in your dreams. You can't fail with all that working for you. However, you obviously like to load up your plate by doing everything at once. When I quit smoking after 20 years of 2 packs a day, not smoking was my whole life for the first year. But it gets better and you are younger than I was. Just quit one cigarette at a time.Good luck, but I don't think you need it.

Peter,Life is short and so many people end up saying "if it wasnt for X or Y I would have done ???".Or they will say "not this year but maybe next"! and next never comes.I admire you for having the courage and the guts to sacrifice a "a safe situation" and to strike out where your heart tells you to go.You are a lucky man indeed to have the support of your wife just dont forget "you owe her" ;-)Peter

Congratz on your career change :-) and as for you was the goal to earn money through this hobby, my goal is to not get scared when i fly with one hahaha.Again congratz and live long and prosporous and cruise high :)

Guest mondriver

Peter.....Great news and the very best of luck!!!I completed my commercial pilot's training in the States (Memphis & New York) and had probably some of the best times of my life in doing so. The road ahead of you is a long, challenging and often difficult one, but will be one that you will always cherish and will look back on fondly when you are sitting at 37,000ft doing an honest days work!!Have great fun...enjoy every second and NEVER let the rumours,stories or "despondant wannabies" that you will surely meet along the way, ever get you down!!The most difficult thing about becoming an Airline pilot is having the conviction to begin the challenge. That you have obviously taken that in your stride.....best of luck!Cheers

Guest Moghdad

Congratulations for taking the leap--and for having one very cool wife! Good luck.

A great story-keep us informed how it goes! I hope to do a reverse, backwards route of the same at the end of my present career-it is great that you can do it now. You have a great wife-all the best to you and her. :-beerchughttp://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Thanks everybody for your kind words, I'll have my wife read all of them as I'm sure she will appreciate it.A difficult decision it was but then again just the thought that I'll be making a living doing what I love did it for me, especially as I'm looking at another twentysomething years of work.There are so many people here on this board (frequent- and non-frequent posters, moderators and of course all freeware developers) that made this such a great hobby and I hold all of you responsible for my decision making ;-)BTW Geoff, of course I'll have to ask you about the status of your Debonair? I'm sure you're busy betatesting it.....;-)Cheers,Peterhttp://home.neo.rr.com/zaehringer/pipersignature.jpgPIII600,512MB,Win98SE,DirectX8a,Geforce32DDR(Det.22.80),SBlive(4.06.703)

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Peter...from a fellow Clevelander....good luck on your training! chris

I wish I was abit younger I would be heading for Minnesota and work towards a becoming a ATC, they are making big bucks and having fun to.Best Wishes maybe one day I'll dispatch one of your flights(pretty scarry huh)

Hi Peter,A great story and a great journey you're embarking on!Being of the same age with 2 kids and a comfortable career I've chosen the "arm chair pilot" pilot route for myself and am happy with that.I have the deepest respect for those that choose to take a drastic turn in their career and life and make a long time dream a reality.All the best to you and your wife and I think all that any of us arm chair pilots would ask for is to take it to the end!!!!Keep us up to date with your progress.Mike

Mike,thanks for kind words, I really appreciate it. I didn't know you were as "young" as I ;-) One big factor in my decision making was definately this year "she" will either want a kid (would be our first one) or a house, so I knew that this year is it.....Again I have to stress that none of this would be possible without her help and support but then again it's because of people like you and other people I've met in this community that even got me to this stage. I will certainly stay in touch Mike, there's no way that studying will prevent me from reading this forum (it just won't be cable modem anymore due to budget limitations :-( )And you'll never now, maybe one day I'll move back to Cleveland to work for Continental Express........Cheers,Petehttp://home.neo.rr.com/zaehringer/pipersignature.jpgPIII600,512MB,Win98SE,DirectX8a,Geforce32DDR(Det.22.80),SBlive(4.06.703)