Sign in to follow this  
saabpilot

Importing scenery into FSX demo

Guest cwright

I'm very impressed by the demo, it bodes well for FSX when it's released.Has anyone tried importing scenery into the demo? I tried my Karakam scenery. The terrain mesh works fine, but building objects were transparent.The biggest problem is with the generic textures. I copied the generic textures used by the scenery into Addon Scenerytextures, but no joy. The terrain is black.I have also found that the FSX generic textures cannot be opened in DXTBMP and several other utilities. The format is obviously changed. Does anyone know of a utility that can open these .bmp files. And is it possible to create textures in the correct format? Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

It's the generic textures in sceneryworldtexture.Okay, I can read them! However, there are some with the name ....2m...bmp that DXTBMP cannot read. By chance I must have chosen those. DXTBMP seems to read all the others okay. At 1024*1024 they look amazing. Now I'll see if I can convert my textures to this format.... Best regards, Chris

Those (m files) are just the blending maps. they appear unchanged from FS9.scott s..

Guest cwright

I changed my generic textures to the new size and they should be compatible. But still no joy, the terrain is black. Quite possibly the new FSX system is incompatible with the older scenery. Has anyone managed to get older scenery working in the demo? Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

I understand. It was obviously due to Murphy's Law that I happened to choose some of those! Best regards, Chris

I'm not sure that the size is going to matter. By old, how old do you mean? FS9 or before that

Chris,I tried some photoreal and it did not appear. In their case they have everything bundled into a St. Maarten BGL for their photo textures. The final file layout is probably forthcoming in the full release. I also tried using the FSX textures in FS9 - did not work.It is evident that lots of work remains on FSX to get it to a release state. I hope that the there will be conversion programs available to get old stuff to any new formats - (maybe).Dick Boley near 5G8

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hello Chris, Have you gotten the latest version of DXTBmp? I believe that Martin Wright has already modified his program and that it is compatible with FS X textures.Best regards.Luis

Guest cwright

Luis, my copy is quite old and I'll get the new one. It does in fact read the textures okay - as I explained elsewhere, I just happened to click on the wrong file types! Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

My scenery is old, for example it used Airport for objects. It's probably FS2002 vintage or even earlier. The only thing that worked properly in the demo was the terrain mesh. One question: does anyone know of any free add-on scenery that works in the demo? The islands are great, but a bit more scenery would be nice. Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

Hi Dick, I hope you're well. I'm still curious to know if it is possible for any existing (preferably free!) add-on scenery to work in the demo. Maybe Mike (tdragger) could comment.... I've made a version of AutoAsm for Far Cry which I'll get around to releasing eventually. But when FSX comes out (and the SDK's) I'll certainly look at updating the dynamic objects/road traffic feature. It is severely crippled by the old FS dynamic object system, but hopefully there are no such limits in the new system. It should be possible to add traffic on any roads and of course traffic moving in both directions. Trains would almost certainly also be possible. Best regards, Chris

I still use Autoasm occasionally. FSX should have a much higher resolution graphics capability given the slider numbers in the demo. One of the continuing visual problems is the use of objects with a higher resolution than the ground they set upon. So, placing high resolution objects on top of blurred ground is a difficult visual to accept. You want the effect to go beyond the "toy experience" and have it become a natural element in the landscape. In other words, the objects should not call attention to the blurred ground upon which they set. A nice feature for FSX would be a "low & slow" function wherein so long as you stayed below 500 ft AGL, and with a speed constriction, you could enjoy much higher ground resolution that would kill you at a higher AGL given the wider perspective that is needed in that case.I have done 1.2m photo texture and it looks great. But in FS9 it has visual anomalies. Given the current availability of free 1 meter/pixel photos, and the FSX graphics, low and slow will take on a whole new perspective and the moving objects will be in demand. It will eventually be possible to just hover over a scene and enjoy the "action", much like you would see in a good model train layout.May all your tsunamis be dramatic,Dick near 5G8

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest christiand

HelloI exported 1 or 2 of my "old" French sceneries SCASM to FSX and the compatibility is ok. The Scasm codes are read correctly.... Except the night textures which are no visible... ! I don't understand why.:-hmmm Christian near LFQQhttp://perso.orange.fr/christian.dupriez

Salut Christian,Are the textures in the correct format? Try converting to DXT or DDS (same thing, but flipped).Best regards.Luis