Sign in to follow this  
jvile

New Bangkok Airport Scenery Help

Hello,I'm having serious issues with the new Bangkok airport scenery from Siamavsim.comFor some reason much of the AFCAD and taxiways don't appear. Also my AI traffic appears sunk into the ground.I have no idea why this is happening so maybe one of you scenery gurus knows what's going on. Here's a picture:vtbsfy3.jpgMaybe it's an elevation issue? Or it needs a flatten, or some kind of exclude. Any ideas?Thanks!http://www.cpavirtual.org/images/banners/MyNewCrapBanner.jpgEric Thornton - CX001 - http://www.virtualairline.org

Eric Thornton

I assume this is the VTBS 2006 scenery. I d/led and installed it, and it should be OK. The AFCAD is set at 1.524m and there is a flatten file (elev.bgl) which flattens the terrain to 1.5234m, which should work OK. check your install to make sure elev.bgl has been installed.scott s..

Yep, that's the scenery. I checked if I had the elev.bgl and I did. I had to add a flatten switch i the scenery.cfg to get this to work.Flatten.0=5.0,N13 39.15,E100 45.32,N13 39.55,E100 43.65,N13 42.90,E100 44.76,N13 42.54,E100 46.30That's what fixed it for me. I dunno why it didn't work to begin with. I have Global mesh installed maybe that's why.http://www.cpavirtual.org/images/banners/MyNewCrapBanner.jpgEric Thornton - CX001 - http://www.virtualairline.org

Eric Thornton

Guest IV001

We are aware of this flatten problem.Please read the solution on our forumLinkTHA118Siamavsim.comSiam Scenery Design Team

Thanks for the scenery. I installed this, without any other scenery in the area and it worked fine. Then, I was working on the approaches, which AFAIK, need to be put into scenerygenericscenery. As soon as I put my approach file in, I lost the runways and taxiways. I hadn't seen that before, but it did look like a flatten problem. However, I looked very carefully at the AFCAD file and the flatten and every thing looked fine. I also built an LWM flatten of my own and tried it, with same results. Now, here is where it got interesting. I noticed that there is an exclude file for the area of the airport, and it looks like an FS2000-2002 style exclude, not an FS9 exclude. Now I know from experience that those earlier excludes do work. But I was curious, so I built an FS9 exclude and disabled the one supplied in the scenery (gen1_exc.bgl). I found this worked. I could move AFCAD files to any folder, and the runways would still show up. I don't know why this works, but it did.scott s..

>As soon as I put my approach file in, >I lost the runways and taxiways.ScottProbably because your airport elevation in the header is not the exact same as the addon scenery elevation. FS9 reads the AP*.bgl elevation first then changes the elevation based on what is in your header at the Genericscenery folder level. Now when the addon scenery is added to the scenery.cfg that becomes another elevation that FS9 has to work with.Your airport elevation is the one FS9 is using because you told FS9 not to use the one in the AP*.bgl. If you can get the precise elevation the addon scenery is using with their flatten and use that in you Approach xml header everything should look correct. After all this then someone comes along with a AFCAD that has a different runway elevation. Everything becomes distorted. Scenery designers should always try and flatten airports as close to the AP*.bgl airport elevation as possibile. The reason is because the AFCAD program only reads AP*.bgl elevations and nothing that is in the GenericScenery folder or the addon folder. The AFCAD must have the Runway, Start Locations and all Localizer property elevations adjusted properly.