Sign in to follow this  
nudata

FSX scenery problem

Guest cwright

Hello all, I created a bgl with the old FS Resample tool (terrain mesh plus landclass) and placed it in the ocean in FSX. It didn't show up. The same bgl in FS9 works fine, so there appears to be a difference between FS9 and FSX (now there's a surprise!)However, when I placed the bgl on land in FSX it worked fine (though the frame rate was surprisingly low).Does anyone have any ideas? Many thanks. Best regards, Chris

Hi Chris.Large areas of FS9 are not actually defined as LWM watermask waterpolys. They are just land, with a water-type landclass. They behave as water, but they are actually landclass.In FSX, I think all oceans are water polys. So landclass will not show up unless a land poly is defined.Dick

Guest cwright

Hi Dick, thanks for that, I'm sure it's the answer. I tried a quick test by changing the LWM polygon to land, but no joy. I'll do some more detailed tests today and report back. Has anyone else managed to add landclass/terrain mesh on FSX ocean surfaces?Part of my problem is that I haven't looked at this LWM/VTP stuff for a couple of years and I'm very rusty!By the way, I hope it'll be possible to make VTP lines work on FSX.Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

Dick, I've done some more tests and still no joy. The test scenery consists of two bgl's:1. Combined terrain mesh and landclass. It works fine when placed over existing land in FSX.2. The LWM bgl. It consists of a large circle set to land.A typical section: LWMDataAreaDrawPolygons 1,3,1,20,0 LWMPoly2 9,0,1,100,0 LWMPoint 1,175 LWMPoint 1,178 LWMPoint 3,191 LWMPoint 4,203 LWMPoint 8,217 LWMPoint 12,231 LWMPoint 14,244 LWMPoint 14,255 LWMPoint 1,255 The third parameter after LWMPoly2 is 1, which is correct for land. Altitude is set to 100 meters. In FSX over ocean the circular area is correctly raised 100 meters, forming a wide cylinder. FSX displays rock textures on the vertical sides of the cylinder, which is correct. However, the raised top is still water. Very strange....Hopefully there's a simple answer!Best regards, Chris

Just to add some info:I moved some Autoasm BGLs to a registered scenery folder inFSX. These were LWM and VTP files I made to get improved shorelines (rivers, etc.) in FS9. They worked - sort of. Before the pictures shown below there was only the terrain depression with no sign of the river. While it is not there the shorelines converge at the middle of the river at some points. Dick Boleyhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/159301.jpg

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA